Anyone else have to push their high beam stalk twice to get your high beams on ?

nhcowboy28

1000 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
On the GT2, pushing once sets autohigh beam/dynamic low beam on. Pushing again locks high beams on like old school cars

robz32

Texas Stinger Swarm
Houston, TX
Yes, the first push is to activate the auto high beams, the second push is to activated them manually.

In order for the high beam assist to work a certain set of paramenters need to be met.

Here is a quick video explaining how the system works.

gilthanis1

If you turn the lights to ON, instead of AUTO, then the high beams will flip on and off with 1 push just like normal.

Found that out the other night trying to see if they would work like normal. :D

WildBill

Stinger Enthusiast
Central NY
This and the auto wipers drive me nuts the most on this car.

The auto high beam picks up many house lights, etc. flicking them down and then back up.
Oh and how do you turn off the auto high beam when high beam assist is active and on low beam mode.
The answer is you can't do it without flashing someone with your high beams.

Then the wipers seem to have a mind of their own. Work fine one minute, then don't wipe enough, turn up the sensitivity, and next thing they are running on high o_O

TwiceStung

Stinger Enthusiast
NC
Some technologies are nice, but I find the auto wipers and headlights on the Premium to be VERY annoying. I try not to use them if possible, which is even more frustrating. They are definitely not engineered correctly.

brancky3

1000 Posts Club!
USA
Some technologies are nice, but I find the auto wipers and headlights on the Premium to be VERY annoying. I try not to use them if possible, which is even more frustrating. They are definitely not engineered correctly.
Maybe there's an issue with your car. My wipers work great, my headlights work great. There are certain conditions for each which depend on the cameras and sensors on your car.

Billy M

Austin TX

The auto high beam picks up many house lights, etc. flicking them down and then back up.
Oh and how do you turn off the auto high beam when high beam assist is active and on low beam mode.

Then the wipers seem to have a mind of their own. Work fine one minute, then don't wipe enough, turn up the sensitivity, and next thing they are running on high o_O
Maybe turn the headlights to “on” rather than “auto” to deactivate without flashing?

WildBill

Stinger Enthusiast
Central NY
Maybe turn the headlights to “on” rather than “auto” to deactivate without flashing?
Hmmm, I tried it last night and well... Yeah. You turn your lights on manually to "ON" and there is no auto high low.
I had always left mine in Auto thinking that it was for auto on/off. Ran the last car for 9 years without moving the lights off of auto.

Thanks, learned something (and you're probably like RTFMo_O)

Billy M

Austin TX
Hmmm, I tried it last night and well... Yeah. You turn your lights on manually to "ON" and there is no auto high low.
I had always left mine in Auto thinking that it was for auto on/off. Ran the last car for 9 years without moving the lights off of auto.

Thanks, learned something (and you're probably like RTFMo_O)
I had and ‘03 Tacoma, and I just left them on for the life of the vehicle. They’d turn off with the ignition.

BBB

K-Town, Canada

Auto lights work perfectly fine for me, but I agree, the auto-wiper/speed is so inconsistent.

7Andrei7

Bucharest, Romania
I have a question and thought I should not start a new topic.
When the high beams are on, does your dynamic low beam still work? Going left-right while turning the steering? I noticed that mine doesn't anymore. For example if I am in the middle of a soft bend, the low beam would dynamically move to the interior of the road, as normal. The moment the high beam is activated (automatically) I can see the headlights move to the default centre position. And while the high beams are on the lights don't move anymore.
I find this very annoying and hope there's a problem with mine. My former VW's dynamic xenon lights would behave exactly the same in both low beam and high beam.

nhcowboy28

1000 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
I have a question and thought I should not start a new topic.
When the high beams are on, does your dynamic low beam still work? Going left-right while turning the steering? I noticed that mine doesn't anymore. For example if I am in the middle of a soft bend, the low beam would dynamically move to the interior of the road, as normal. The moment the high beam is activated (automatically) I can see the headlights move to the default centre position. And while the high beams are on the lights don't move anymore.
I find this very annoying and hope there's a problem with mine. My former VW's dynamic xenon lights would behave exactly the same in both low beam and high beam.
Working as designed. Everyone’s does this.

7Andrei7

Bucharest, Romania
But why? What is the logic of disabling a very good system? We have very curvy roads around here and there are many cases where high beams are far worse than "adapted" low beam. It makes the auto high beam useless..

nhcowboy28

1000 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
But why? What is the logic of disabling a very good system? We have very curvy roads around here and there are many cases where high beams are far worse than "adapted" low beam. It makes the auto high beam useless..
I’m not here to explain why.
It is what it is.

don’t like it? Part out and sell.

7Andrei7

Bucharest, Romania
I thought there was some kind logic behind it.. Well, I'll just continue not using auto-high beam.
It's just sad to see such a software limitation on a car that is generally very well engineered. It's the same with the auto wipers. They work like on a 15k car rather than a 45k car. Will be interesting to see if the facelift will fix these little issues. Software updates could then become available for ours.

SafetyPilotCal

I'm gonna go out and on a limb and assume it's because only the outward-most projectors actually have the light bending system. The high beam projector probably does not, so it just turns the feature off while the high beams are on. It's a little half baked, I suppose. But I'm guessing someone figured it wasn't worth the money to make them both move around.

7Andrei7

Bucharest, Romania
@SafetyPilotCal That was my first thought but the low beam lights are still on and they could still move. If the high beam turns on during a turn you ca easily see the lights coming back to the centre position after a couple of seconds. So technically they can still move the low beam lights while the highs are also on. It's a software limitation.
And this limitation + no cornering lights makes it behave much worse than most cars on nice bendy roads like the one below. I just find that sad because it looks like someone forgot to do their job.
Screenshot 2020-05-24 at 09.52.30.png

Last edited: