Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Anyone buy out-of-state?

Discussion in 'How to Buy a Kia Stinger' started by BigPlum, Oct 1, 2018.

1. BigPlum

BigPlum United States Member

Anyone purchase their Stinger out-of-state? I've Google'd it and think I have a good understanding of the sales tax and registration requirements, but just curious if anyone knows of any "gotchas" that could potentially catch me off guard. I'm in Arizona and would purchase from Utah, if that matters.

2. gilthanis1

gilthanis1 United States Active Member

I'm from South Carolina and went to Muncie, Indiana for mine. Sales tax and registration is based on your home state, along with all paperwork. Just make sure the dealership is familiar with doing out-of-state deals and what all is required so you don't get caught with an 'oops' on the back end.

Being that AZ and UT are next door neighbors, per se, it should be commonplace for dealers there to be familiar with the process. That would be like NC and SC, its a cakewalk. When I went to IN for mine it was a little different because it's 600 miles and several states away, but Kia of Muncie was fantastic with the deal and making sure everything with very smooth.

3. BigPlum

BigPlum United States Member

When I talked to the dealer he seemed to have a good understanding of the process, so I'm hoping it's seamless if I go this route.

Unfortunately for me, even though we're neighbors, it'll be a 835 mile drive back from the Utah dealership and my hometown since I'm near the Mexico border. Good times. Nothing like a 13 hour drive to break in a new ride...

Thanks for the input.

4. Audible Silence

Audible Silence United States Active Member

Different car, but I bought my Magnum from Las Vegas, I live in Florida, (only ~200 built). I got my loan through a local credit union, called the dealer, made the deal that way. Only thing that cought be off guard was the $2000+ in tax that was due at the DMV..

ADVICE: don't be cheap on the transport. I used an open carrier, the company I used did not have their own trucks and subbed out the transportation. I was told I would have the car on 7 days... It was almost 2 weeks!!! Also, the driver cracked the front fascia and covered it in body color tape. I didn't see it cuz it was under the car and it was pouring when I recieved it. Since I signed the receiving order, my hands were tied on getting the repair covered.

Draft saved Draft deleted