Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Any dynos for ram air systems?

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by DistrictStinger, Jul 11, 2019 at 8:32 PM.

1. Just curious if anyone has done any testing to see whether ram air systems provide better airflow (hp bump) or not.

If you have them installed, please chime in :)

2. ecko04

ecko04 Active Member

unpopular opinion - most of the intakes for the Stinger, including DIY are ram air

3. ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2 United States Active Member

It is likely his definition of "ram" air is a direct, front-facing opening that allows higher speeds to literally RAM air into the air filter (such as a hood scoop routed into the air filter/box as you find on Firebirds). Velossa snorkels are an example of ram air as well as JT snorkels for their intake. An open box is not "ram" air to most people even if it allows more air to be drawn in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Thats correct.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the snorkels, or dynos even?

5. DaJackson

DaJackson United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

The car is on a stationary dyno, how do you expect to see HP increases without a wind tunnel that can simulate the increase in airflow from an increase in speed?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. There seem to be app based dynos that you can drive around with as well.

7. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States Stinger Enthusiast

Gonna be hard to replicate any impact on a Dyno. The fan is rammed right up against the bumper by default.

8. DaJackson

Those are highly inaccurate. There are far too many variables for an app to handle.

9. Then I guess at this point I'm waiting for someone that has them installed to tell me what they think about them :thumbup:

10. ecko04

ecko04 Active Member

There was a discussion in another thread and the general consensus that the snorkels (i.e., Velossa) have no impact on performance, at least in terms of power. Perhaps they increase airflow, but this hasn’t been shown. Despite the snorkels being out for a year they aren’t back by any quantitative data. Qualitatively, owners of said snorkels like them.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. DaJackson

Velossa Tech Designs Big Mouth Intake Snorkel: Initial Review

And if you search you will find a bunch more threads.

See thread above. Page 2 specifically.

12. ecko04

ecko04 Active Member

My post specifically referenced power. As I stated previously, they may well flow more air, but they don’t influence power. However, folks that have them are happy.

I believe the OP was looking specifically for dyno numbers, which would lead me to believe he’s looking for adding power, which until there’s more information, the snorkels do not accomplish.

Once again, I’m not saying the snorkels don’t work. It’s just important to consider what they were designed to do — which isn’t to make more power, but rather to be more efficient with air flow, which a dyno will not necessarily reflect.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 10:16 AM
  13. DaJackson

They flow cooler air, which correlates to more power. It’s likely not 10hp but cooler air will equal more power.

14. ecko04

ecko04 Active Member

It’s not a causation. There are a great many factors that influence, or negate, cooler air having an impact on power so while there may be a correlation it is not an, if I do x, y happens. I am positive that is Velossa Tech found a significant, or even notable, power difference they would have included that in their marketing material. Once again, it’s not designed to create power — which their posts in your thread state.

While not an apples to apples comparison, upgrading an intercooler lowers air charge temps, but doesn’t necessary equate to more power in and of itself.

15. ecko04

ecko04 Active Member

I’ll say this though, if I could fit the snorkels on my car, I would have them. They just don’t fit with the gigantic IC I have and the IC may negate the benefit of them anyway — but they look cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted