Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

All White Interior Lights to Red

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Lighting - Inside and Out' started by Schumi Jr, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Schumi Jr

Schumi Jr United States Member Sustaining Member

I did not like the white with red ambient light interior contrast. And I thought the ambient lighting without the Dome/Map/Room lights was insufficient. So I decided to convert it all to red.
    I wanted to post a little DIY, but I don't have sufficient privileges to post in that sub-forum. I also created a gallery with all the pictures.

Started by ordering ORACAL 8300 Transparent Red Vinyl Roll 12" x 24" from Amazon, $8.88 prime.

I started with the footwell lights, since they are the least visible in case I screwed up learning what to do.

I cut oversized pieces using a utility knife and placed them over the footwell white lens under the dash on both sides. Using an exacto knife (utility knife would also work, but I wanted the smallest width blade) I carefully cut the excess of the pieces off leaving

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Schumi Jr

Schumi Jr United States Member Sustaining Member

I did not like the white with red ambient light interior contrast. And I thought the ambient lighting without the Dome/Map/Room lights was insufficient. So I decided to convert it all to red.
    I wanted to post a little DIY, but I don't have sufficient privileges to post in that sub-forum. I also created a gallery with all the pictures.

Started by ordering ORACAL 8300 Transparent Red Vinyl Roll 12" x 24" from Amazon, $8.88 prime.

I started with the footwell lights, since they are the least visible in case I screwed up learning what to do.

I cut oversized pieces using a utility knife and placed them over the footwell white lens under the dash on both sides. Using an exacto knife (utility knife would also work, but I wanted the smallest width blade) I carefully cut the excess of the pieces off leaving vinyl only on the lens. In the footwell you could leave the excess if taking a blade to your beloved Stinger makes you nervous, no one will ever see it.

The Front map lights utilized the same method, however the corners are curved. There is a gap between the lens light and trim piece. If you are careful you can cut the vinyl in that gap leaving a slight bit extra to wrap around the edges of the lens. There is a contour on the lens that you will have to work at to ensure there are no bubbles in the film. The curved corners are annoying, but if you leave a bit of excess and use a hairdryer, you can manipulate the vinyl over the edge with out wrinkles. It took me about 4 tries to get it really right and I still think I am going to redo one of the map lights.

The rear "room" light is another issue. There is no gap between the lens and trim piece. I first tried to measure and get an exact template, but gave up after try three.

Luckily, the cover for the unit pops off. Learn from my mistake, I pulled the whole unit down. That was not a good idea. Wasn't hard to put it back up, but it was completely unnecessary and there are these annoying clips on the side of the unit that could easily snag the headliner on removal. If you are curious what the unit looks like, I put pictures in the gallery. You can remove the cover without damaging the trim if you are careful.

Once I had the cover off, I cut and placed the vinyl on the inside of the lens. This gives the lens the slightest pink hue if you really look at it. Then I put the cover back on.

And you are done. 90 minutes, fairly easy, and I am very happy the way it turned out.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Weareblondi

Weareblondi United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

that is actually very nice looking. hope the mrs doesnt see this post because i will then be attempting to do it.

4. ScottM

ScottM United States Active Member

Hmmmm...interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted