kia stinger store

Air Condition*

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
* I could not find another thread similar to this so I apologize in advance if I missed it
* I could not find the right section to post this in so I apologize in advance if I missed it

[ summary on the bottom if you don't want to read my entire life story ]

Hey everyone! :)

Drove about an hour and a half upstate (90% of the driving was cruising on the highway) with my gf to visit a small quaint town. Weather was beautiful on the way up and we drove with the AC off and the windows down. On the way back the weather was warmer and it was drizzling on and off so we turned on the AC to the lowest setting (a single dot out of the seven or eight) and kept the windows closed. After about half an hour of driving the car began to get very warm. We turned up the AC but it was not blowing cold air nor blowing much air at all. The air that was being blown was not warm either, it felt cool to the touch, but was blowing very little. The AC was very loud and sounded like it was struggling. We turned the AC off, waited another fifteen minutes and turned the AC back on. Same problem. We decided to drive with the windows down but on and off had to close them due to a little bit of a drizzle. I have owned my car for a tad over 13 months and about 6,900 miles. Car has never had this problem before. The car is essentially brand new and I've never had this issue with any other vehicle myself or my family have owned. I am hesitant bringing my Stinger into the dealership since my experience has been that it takes them anywhere from three to five hours to solve anything. I have also seen online that anything AC related is only covered the first 12 months or 12,000 miles. Thoughts and suggestions? I know if I bring it in it's going to take half the day but I believe whatever this problem is should be covered under warranty. Is it the freon? I feel lost.

Huge thanks in advance! :D

SUMMARY:

Car has been owned for a little bit over 13 months and about 6,900 miles. The AC suddenly has stopped blowing cold air but a small amount of cool breeze is coming from it. The more I turn up the AC the louder it gets and the more it struggles. The AC (up until just now) has been very good in the Stinger. In a matter of seconds the AC on even the lowest setting makes the entire car freezing which is fantastic. Now it doesn't do anything but sounds like it's dying. Will this problem be covered under warranty by the dealership? Is this an easy "fix it yourself like a real man" thing I can do? I try to avoid bringing my car to the dealership if I can avoid it.

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
ALSO JUST AN INFORMATION UPDATE:

I always drive the car with the same exact "cold" settings. This problem was not happening last week or last year or over the summer. The car always has the "AC" button pressed and showing the orange/gold light and my temperature settings are always 69 on both sides.

When I was driving and the AC stopped working I was in comfort mode if that helps. The entire trip was in either ECO or comfort mode but the problem happened in comfort mode and did not go away even when I switched to ECO or smart.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Does it do the same thing if you put the climate controls on auto?

Wonder if it's a temp sensor issue, it thinks it's cooler or not getting a reading at all and therefore doesn't create any cold air for you. Could also be that the air temp wasn't particularly high (it's not summer yet in the northeast?), but it was humid. In which case you'd have to turn the temp setting manually to the lowest possible to get it to generate cold air.

Snowwhite

frozen evaporator? if drain is clogged, and the a/c is running, and there's insufficient airflow to the evaporator (ie on lowest fan setting), it can freeze over. fix is easy- let it thaw out. you'll know it's done when the large puddle appears under your car, or, if the drain is clogged, it'll spill out all over your passenger floor compartment.

another way to speed it up is turn the A/C button OFF and the fan to the highest setting (with the car on, of course.) it'll take a few minutes to thaw enough, but once it starts, it'll thaw out pretty quick.

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
Thank you both!! :) :D

I have had the setting on "AC" and "69" and "cold" whenever I wanted air. I actually have never used the climate control for heat outside of defrosting/defogging the front and rear windshields... but I don't press "heat" or adjust the temperature. I let it do it by just pressing the two buttons located next to each other.

It has been going up and down temperature up here in Yonkers for the last month or so. Certain days we're between 30 something and 50 something and others it's been going into the 60's or even 70's at times. I have used the AC often when driving when temps are mid 60's to low 70's since I rather be cold than warm.

I will try this method. If the problem is not resolved then I will take it to the dealership. This problem should be fixed under warranty pretty quickly right? Such a pain in the butt haha!

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
Crazy update:

Drove the car last night and this morning. Magically the AC was working fine both times. I did not touch or change any of the climate control settings. Perhaps the trip the other day was a strange fluke? Has anyone reported this happening? Granted... both the drive last night and this morning were under an hour while the trip prior was over an hour and a half. I doubt that would play a role though. We often drive two to three hours and the AC never had a problem before.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Early in my Stinger ownership, I tried to use the AC like I always have in other (older) vehicles. I was fighting it. Yes, you can manually select things, and keep fiddling to get it right. Or, you can do what I did: as mentioned, just put everything on "Auto" and select the inside temperature that you want and let the system do its thing. If I think that the outside temperature is what I want, I'll just turn the whole thing OFF.

As for warranty, the system is warrantied out to 60K miles/5 years as covered under basic or "bumper to bumper". The coolant (refrigerant) is covered under any and all conditions out to 12 months; beyond that you pay for replacement of refrigerant unless it was lost through a fault that ends up under warranty.

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
Early in my Stinger ownership, I tried to use the AC like I always have in other (older) vehicles. I was fighting it. Yes, you can manually select things, and keep fiddling to get it right. Or, you can do what I did: as mentioned, just put everything on "Auto" and select the inside temperature that you want and let the system do its thing. If I think that the outside temperature is what I want, I'll just turn the whole thing OFF.

As for warranty, the system is warrantied out to 60K miles/5 years as covered under basic or "bumper to bumper". The coolant (refrigerant) is covered under any and all conditions out to 12 months; beyond that you pay for replacement of refrigerant unless it was lost through a fault that ends up under warranty.
I will give it a shot! :thumbup:

Again, what I find strange, is I have the AC set to the same exact settings at all times and either press "AC" or press "Off" or crack a window. Perhaps what happened a few days ago is a fluke. I hope it is. If the issue occurs again though that is a real shame.

Perhaps I am a bit salty that this issue did not start two months ago... but it was pretty cold two months ago... oh well... 13 months and 7000 miles... just my luck! :p

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I will give it a shot! :thumbup:

Again, what I find strange, is I have the AC set to the same exact settings at all times and either press "AC" or press "Off" or crack a window. Perhaps what happened a few days ago is a fluke. I hope it is. If the issue occurs again though that is a real shame.

Perhaps I am a bit salty that this issue did not start two months ago... but it was pretty cold two months ago... oh well... 13 months and 7000 miles... just my luck! :p
The AC in this car is without a doubt very complex, and fully dependent on "electronic wizardry". Hah! But it isn't always that "smart". I think in spring and fall it can confuse itself. It works best in full on summer or winter.

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
The AC in this car is without a doubt very complex, and fully dependent on "electronic wizardry". Hah! But it isn't always that "smart". I think in spring and fall it can confuse itself. It works best in full on summer or winter.
hokey dokey amigo!! :D:thumbup::ninja:

hayagix

Mine quit too. I noticed my idle stop quit some time ago as well. Going to the shop next week. Not saying anything about the idle stop.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Not saying anything about the idle stop.
That's a good idea. They'll just point you to that long list of "conditions" that must be met for ISG (Idle Stop and Go) to function.

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
I have always turned off my idle-stop-go feature whenever I got in the car. I don't like the car ever shutting off if God forbid I have to suddenly move or get out of the way when sitting at a stand still.

Good luck at the dealership btw!

rpoffen

California
I have always turned off my idle-stop-go feature whenever I got in the car. I don't like the car ever shutting off if God forbid I have to suddenly move or get out of the way when sitting at a stand still.

Good luck at the dealership btw!
I got one of those memory modules from Shark Racing to remember the settings for auto-hold and ISG (Idle Stop and Go). Works great.

hayagix

Well ... the AC was low on fluid. They couldn't find a leak. The ISG (Idle Stop and Go) quiting is a sure sign of a low battery.
Car has been starting fine but they say the battery was at 56%. Funny, you would think a recent 2 hour drive would have fully charged a battery. I've put a battery maintainer on it and will see if it fully charges. To be continued ...

rpoffen

California
If the battery is bad, it won’t hold a full charge no matter how long you keep it on a charger. They are probably saying it will only hold 56% of normal capacity.
If you want a second opinion, take the battery yourself to an auto parts store and they can test it also.

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
Well ... the AC was low on fluid. They couldn't find a leak. The ISG (Idle Stop and Go) (Idle Stop and Go) quiting is a sure sign of a low battery.
Car has been starting fine but they say the battery was at 56%. Funny, you would think a recent 2 hour drive would have fully charged a battery. I've put a battery maintainer on it and will see if it fully charges. To be continued ...
Did they replace the AC fluid for free or charge you? Magically my AC has been working ever since that one strange hiccup. Hopefully it doesn't go when I make my road trip later this summer.

The battery is bad on a two year old car? What is the warranty on the battery? Very strange...

If the battery is bad, it won’t hold a full charge no matter how long you keep it on a charger. They are probably saying it will only hold 56% of normal capacity.
If you want a second opinion, take the battery yourself to an auto parts store and they can test it also.
Does AutoZone test for free? I thought Kia would replace a battery under their warranty if it is this early in the car? Funny enough the battery in my WRX lasted for five years! Can you believe that?!?!? :p

EClapp3

Does AutoZone test for free? I thought Kia would replace a battery under their warranty if it is this early in the car? Funny enough the battery in my WRX lasted for five years! Can you believe that?!?!? :p
Yeah, all the auto stores test batteries for free.