Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3.3TT Aftermarket Exhaust Drone

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by RandallK, May 12, 2018.

1. RandallK

RandallK United States Active Member

E5BF06B2-E3F9-4AC0-A924-3DD7F124BEB6.jpeg 062B67C3-8710-401E-9BBB-694A043CD251.jpeg After reading reviews from multiple people on this forum that have aftermarket exhausts from various manufacturers.. There is a common theme with drone in and around the same RPM range...

This has me speculating that we are possibly hitting a resonant frequency of the car that is being excited by these exhaust systems..

My next inexpensive project is going to be to try to mitigate this by two things..

1. Get some Soundskins damping and get a layer in the well and rear hatch area..

2. Is to unbolt these and sandwich either a layer of damping or a rubber pad to further decouple the exhaust..

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  2. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

Our cars are virtually identical. Same tune, exhaust, color...I have no drone at any RPM. Science would suggest that means something else is causing it.

How far back did you get the catback's tips into the stock tips? I have a feeling that some reverberation may be being created if the tips are either too far or not far enough in.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  3. RandallK

RandallK United States Active Member

I’ll measure later today..

It’s obsolutely mechanical energy transfer as you can feel it in the floor boards briefly in that rpm range

• Like Like x 1
  4. Never thought

Never thought United States Stinger Enthusiast

Xforce is coming out with an EVC system for the Stinger but the only ETA they’d give is by the end of the year. You can buy their SmartBox and turn it into bimodal. I am likely going to wait for that option. I am hoping it’s good. But seems that xforce has a good reputation.

Draft saved Draft deleted