kia stinger store

3.3TT Aftermarket Brakes

CeramicGT001

Stinger Enthusiast
Maryland
Hawk HPS 5.0 here, on the front only, stock pads on the rear. The hawks do make some noise when they are cold under really light braking, like just when reversing out of the driveway and stuff. seems to go away when hot. it's not enough noise to bother me. I used them on the track and they held up well, everything is still nice and smooth, but I was careful to cruise around after a track session to cool the rotors down a bit, not just park it right away. After more research though, I will be getting some more aggressive pads just for the track and keeping the current setup for daily drive. Definitely better not to have drilled rotors for track use. I'm sure they are fine for daily drive, they are more for show than anything else. Good blanks with track pads are the way to go. I wouldn't hesitate to try Redstuff pads all around for daily drive. I have them on my GTI and they have been great. More dust but no issues otherwise.
Yea mine are doing this thing where everytime I come to a complete normal/slow stop about under 10mph they squeal like a garbage truck…unless I have to stomp on them, they squeal. I’ve rebedded them twice now and no difference.

Did you reuse the oem shims or just the supplied/attached shim with the Hawks?

D.J.

Anyone know how thick is the limit on our rotors ? Just read there's a stamp on the edge of the disc ? If I measured mine right, my rear are .9" or 23mm.

Your measurement is thicker than the standard.

Screenshot_20211124-210156_Drive.jpg

I Stung U

Your measurement is thicker than the standard.

View attachment 65495
Ya, I found that thanks. I'm gonna double check. I had measured a bit deeper than the edge and got .9, which is still more than it's suppose to be new, so that's odd.

I Stung U

is Dynamic Friction a good brand ? Their rotors are very fair priced and seem to be good quality, from the little homework I've found.

I can get their rotors and Powerstop extreme Z26 pads for $265 U.S. Not bad combo ? I believe the pads are the more important part, as long as the rotors are good strong quality brand ??

Are the Powerstop noisy ? they seem good for other features. I gotta figure that out, cause I don't want that. I will not accept noisy pads for braking performance.. need a good balance.
Looking for feedback on that

Hawk853

A friend sent me this link a few weeks ago. I don’t have any experience with them, but they do some interesting custom slotting of the rotors and support Stingers.

new kia badge emblem logo
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

I Stung U

just fyi,the pads are Brembo, as per the dealer and the service manager sending me this pic of a set in stock.

Brembo Pads (1).jpg

StingertimeNC

Stinger Enthusiast
NC
Yea mine are doing this thing where everytime I come to a complete normal/slow stop about under 10mph they squeal like a garbage truck…unless I have to stomp on them, they squeal. I’ve rebedded them twice now and no difference.

Did you reuse the oem shims or just the supplied/attached shim with the Hawks?
I honestly don't know. I just handed the box to my local Mechanic and he just switched them out. I don't think I even know what a shim is. When I looked at the brake pads I don't remember there being any extra parts in the box or anything. Would the shim be attached already? if attached to the pads, then he likely used the new ones. I can say that I haven't noticed any other sounds when braking or switching from reverse to forward, like others have noted. The noise is not bad though, constantly squealing at low speeds, etc.

kia stinger badges
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

CeramicGT001

Stinger Enthusiast
Maryland
I honestly don't know. I just handed the box to my local Mechanic and he just switched them out. I don't think I even know what a shim is. When I looked at the brake pads I don't remember there being any extra parts in the box or anything. Would the shim be attached already? if attached to the pads, then he likely used the new ones. I can say that I haven't noticed any other sounds when braking or switching from reverse to forward, like others have noted. The noise is not bad though, constantly squealing at low speeds, etc.
I gotcha, the OEM pads have metal shims that can be removed. I didn’t put them on the hawk pads because they have built in shims too but I could try using the oem ones on mine. Project for a future day lol.

I Stung U

So I Went ahead with the Power Stop Z26 pads. The Z23 is a great street pad, and not a close match to our Bembro stopping power level. My rotors thickness is practically still new, wo room to machine and put new pads.
EBC Yellow are Also a GREAT Choice (Reds are not close to Bembro level), but went with Z26 as being American, I've found more youtube reviews praising them and someone here with an Audi S7 praised them for street and some track time, so I was sold..
they're in stock ready to ship from Rock Auto, on their way already.
The R1 Concepts were high on my list, but Only the EOP model is avail., and if we want pads closer to the Bembro stopping power, their Performance Series are required (but not available at the moment), where as their Eop line up is just a Great street pad, so it is a down grade for sure.. maybe the R1 eop line for a 2.0L stinger, but not for the TT.
the Hawk, I've seen mixed reviews, so didn't make it to the top 3 list...

Re: Rotors friends, if care about durability and Stopping Power, Do Not get drilled rotors. they only look cool, they worsen stopping strength and durability, especially with our winters !! Slotted or plain surface is for performance !

from my research, these few are worth a try:
Powerstop Z26
EBC Yellow
R1 Concepts Performance Series
Hawk HPS .... some mixed reviews but for sure worth considering and do your own research on these 4 pads.
The other lesser level of pads from all these brands are not for a powerhouse like our Stinger.
Track pads will be noisy and dusty, so not good unless you do track the car a lot.

ps. I hope to do a oem pad brake test this week and same test with the new pads and make a video for such on my channel: RPM Auto Reviews on youtube and Rumble. Look out for that.
Yes, I'm aware the current test will not be 100% fair with current pads not being new. Front pads still have lots left on them, only the rears are low and I'll do my best to account for that in my assessment.

I Stung U

So hard to find shops to machine rotors. I've found 3.. all prefer I bring in the rotors..
if I want them to install my pads, they want from $175-$300 depending on the shop.
Crooks.. Well the $300 one is a crook.. $175 isn't bad for doing machining and pad install.
But seeing so many pad install videos, it's like 5-10 mins.. 15 mins. max both sides or so.. call it an even 20 mins just because.. and they want so much.
I'm going to put my car on jack stands and take off the rotors and bring it to the one guy for $60 for the set machined.
I've seen many not machine and just put new pads on. but even if they seem smooth, I believe they really should be machined to prepped them smoothly for a new set of pads.

new kia badge emblem logo
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...