Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

About to take the plunge..push me or hold me back

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Cayra, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Cayra

Cayra Denmark Member

I test drove a Stinger today. Gorgeous machine. I wasn’t going to get the GT ,which I think is the gt2 overseas but I’m pretty well sold now. 63 k Australian dollars although I might find a demo is morethani wanted to spend....andapart from a few giggles iveread nothing in reviews or here to deter me.

Quite like the ceramic grey...not bright yellow here ...I’m wondering what other colors we are missing out on...or maybe the red

So...do i do it?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Luminary

Luminary United States Active Member Staff Member Moderator Sustaining Member +

*Push*. :)

I LOVE my GT2. No regrets at all. I have nothing to say but great things about the Stinger.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Do it! Welcome by the way! :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. TODDK

TODDK United States Active Member

Really enjoy my GT2.

Go for it!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger United States Administrator Staff Member

Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. Do it! You won't regret it! What will the Stinger be replacing?

6. Cj1

Cj1 United States Member

I'm gonna play devil's advocate and try to hold you back. Here are some reasons:
    (Yes, I own one...2018 GT2 rwd snow white)
    1. 2018 GT2 RWD is around $50,400 msrp here in the states. It is worth about $36,000-$38,000 as soon as you drive it off the lot. So resale is an issue.
    2. Squeaks and rattles after only 1000 miles
    3. Start stop is absolutely annoying
    4. Paint quality
    5. Napa leather color fastness
    6. Cramped cockpit and interior
    7. Infotainment hard to reach when driving, and dont care for UVO.
    8. Not enough info such as gauges like oil pressure, intake and exhaust temp, actual coolant temp, ect.
    9. Its Direct injected which can lead to LSPI which blows motors, blow by, and is more maintenance, possible removal of intake and heads for media blasting.
    10. Its turbo'd, again more issues to go wrong with turbos, intercooler, oil temps from turbos,
    Coking, bushing instead of ball bearing turbos, ect.

Now let's look at another 4 door saloon (sedan)...

Dodge Charger Scat Pack.
    1. Won car of the year for resale. I actually traded mine in on a stinger and got exactly what I paid for it on trade (minus dealer fees, ect)
    2. Naturally aspirated 392 cubic inch motor with comparable gas mileage.
    3. Motor is port injected, no worry about LSPI or carbon build up on intake valves.
    4. Has superior ZF 8 speed transmission, with quick crisp shifts, best shift logic I've seen at price point.
    5. Way more interior room
    6. Much better infotainment placement and function.
    7. Track apps, SRT pages, performance pages that you can customize to see things like intake air temp, oil pressure and temp, coolant temp, ect.
    8. Even in drive it shows you what gear you're in
    9. Nappa leather with Alcanterra inserts are better quality and hold you better.
    10. Heated rear seats, and steering wheel, along with heated and vented front seats
    11. Huge trunk space
    12. Better Brembo brakes...4 piston to 4 piston, cars initial bite, brake feel, and progressive stopping power is much better.
    13. Has active exhaust and note is amazing and true, not piped through speakers.
    14. Almost 500hp, and 500ftlb tq.
    16. Cost almost $10,000 less sticker to sticker. Figure $44k apples to apples. I paid $38k after discounts.
    17. Insurance was within $15 a month between these two cars.

Cons...the Charger's dash and door panels are cheap, look and feel cheap. Fit and finish interior wise goes to Stinger. Exterior paint quality fit and finish goes to Charger.

This is coming from someone who has no brand loyalty, I absolutely hate Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and their customer service. I couldn't tell you about Kia because I've never had to deal with them.l, only heard good things. I've owned a Genesis 3.8 sedan with technology and a Kia Sedona. Put 100,000 on both with barely any issues, just routine scheduled maintenance. Anything that was small that happened, was fixed right away under warranty.
    I had no issues with the 392 Charger either. Just hated the fact that the only oil certified for use at the time I owned the car was Pennziol Ultra Platinum 0w-40 which everyone says is good...but its junk. There additive packs settle out of suspension to bottom of multi-quart jug or individual quart, no matter bottling date.

Now, having said all this, I can say you will be happy with the Stinger, but just wanted to be different than everyone else.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

You will not regret it

[​IMG]

8. Jimmer

Jimmer United States Stinger Enthusiast

I've had my car for almost 5 months.
    - the most direct competitors of this car depreciate too.if you plan to keep it cause it's great, it's a nonfactor. But Toyotas fleet of uninspired vehicles is an option, I suppose...
    -No rattles or squeaks.
    -Start stop isnt a big deal but can be turned off with a push of a button
    -my paint has had no issues
    -leather in my vehicles is still perfect
    -plenty of room in the cockpit and the whole interior is plenty spacious
    - Yes, if you are tall and have the seat way back, you might have to stretch an inch or two to use to infotainment screen.
    -a lot of info most drivers couldn't care less about isnt available amongst the ton of info that is available. Including oil temp, btw.
    -its warranties for 10 years 100k miles so any issues with turbo and such is fixed if it happens before then. Unlike, say pretty much any other brand.

If you need AWD, Charger with AWD has 300 HP, instead of 500, and instead of a hatchback with a ton of cargo space, you have a trunk. Plus its pedestrian looking, tons of people have it and it has half the warranty.

So really, depends on what you need. Stinger isnt a sports car. It's a true GT.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Soca Boy

Soca Boy Canada Stinger Enthusiast

I have the GT Limited which is the US GT2, love it, no regrets. The ceramic grey is sweet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DarthVaderIX

DarthVaderIX United States Active Member

What is UVO?

11. Cayra

Cayra Denmark Member

Thanks for all that.good to hear both sides

I’m vertically challenged but yeah it felt the ent unitwas far away

I drive a Holden Tigra convertible ...which is a rebadged opal..I think

Not too worried about resale..I’m 60 ..it’s my retirement car. Unless I get a lemon I guess..you can be unlucky

Rattles do tee me off. Wife’s little Hyundai has always rattled..hard toget those fixed on warranty..dash issue. ..

Loved driving it. Rear vision a little poor..but otherwise brilliant
    Fishtailed it once...but that was in the first two minutes ..seems very responsive

Just moved to a new house...much smaller garage..only 35 cm longer than the car

Would like to see the bright yellow one but unavailable

Never owned an automatic...but hey I’m getting older

Seven year warranty here...I guess you only know the quality of a warranty when you try to use it..like insurance

dont think we get the sunroof

I’m going to miss puttingthe top down

Planning on going ahead ..don’t needto rush..hoping to improve the deal I can get

12. SKStinger

SKStinger Canada Stinger Enthusiast

It's a great car but I'd look for a 2019. A lot of the first model year gremlins seem to have been addressed based on owner feedback from what I've read and experienced myself.

Also, drive the Genesis G70 if you haven't already. Same 3.3tt engine as the Stinger with a sportier ride and more polished interior.

13. Hemz

Hemz Australia Active Member

Hey mate where are you looking at buying from? Just asking because I just bought a 2019 my19 gt for $60,900 with Bi-modal exhaust and red interior brand new with gt floor mats thrown in. It arrives in Australia 28th of Feb.
    Price also included dealer rebadging front and rear before I pay.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cayra

Cayra Denmark Member

I’m south of Adelaide . Where did you get that price? What istherebadging? Ta

15. Cayra

Cayra Denmark Member

Hey..lived in Canada when I was a kid
    What’s make is that...? I’ll look it up

16. Cayra

Cayra Denmark Member

Could only find 2016 models..found this

31 May 2018 · After missing its launch targets in late 2017 and then early 2018, fledgling luxury car brand Genesis has delayed its Australian market launch to later this year. Genesis is Hyundai's new luxury brand, ...

17. ShannonC

ShannonC Australia Stinger Enthusiast

Just do it!

Was going to suggest you contact Hemz and also put your location up as you'll get plenty of help and advice from here.

18. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

You're on the wrong forum if you expect an unbiased opinion. You'd be hard pressed to find a member here who would steer you away from the Stinger!

Ah.. a beloved Aussie.. Would you put your location into your user profile?

19. Cayra

Cayra Denmark Member

Done

20. Flameangel

Flameangel Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Welcome to the Forum, I will be taking the " plunge " soon, hopefully in the next few months, personally it's a no brainer for me.Iv'e owned Kia's for the last 6 years, no problems what so ever and the service centres have always been really great.I can't wait!

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted