kia stinger store

5 things I hate my Stinger GT

stung_you

Newish Member
3 things only here:
- when I m in manual, I d like to stay in manual. I hate when it goes back to Drive by itself
- option to manually close the trunk. Annoying when it s a little loaded and something soft is slightly blocking it, it goes back up...
- the standard exhaust that is a joke. Hopefully I took care of this. For those interested (especially in Europe), I got the Bastuck with flaps. Sounds amazing.

The rest is secondary but it's even hard to find something else...
Maybe too many Drive modes... not sure what's really Smart about Smart. Looks a lot like Eco..so could be combined with Eco or Comfort
Is this a problem that the GT-2's have?? In my GT-1 I have the option to bump the shifter to the left and it puts the transmission and keeps it in paddle shift mode until I bump it back over to the right. Even at lights when I put it in first it stays like that.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Is this a problem that the GT-2's have?? In my GT-1 I have the option to bump the shifter to the left and it puts the transmission and keeps it in paddle shift mode until I bump it back over to the right. Even at lights when I put it in first it stays like that.
Not a problem, a difference. I use manual gate all the time too. But only after I "discovered" it (over 4K miles in :p); prior to that, I was in sport mode and would have to return to "1" by pulling on the paddle shifter each time I stopped. The GT2 has "drive by wire" (whatever that means) and does not employ manual gate. I'm glad I have manual gate and I like the "T" shifter too; its retro.

(Welcome to the forum, by the way.)

rpoffen

California
Not a problem, a difference. I use manual gate all the time too. But only after I "discovered" it (over 4K miles in :p); prior to that, I was in sport mode and would have to return to "1" by pulling on the paddle shifter each time I stopped. The GT2 has "drive by wire" (whatever that means) and does not employ manual gate. I'm glad I have manual gate and I like the "T" shifter too; its retro.

Drive by wire just means there is no mechanical connection such as cables. It is done by electrical signals over a wire. Technically speaking, I think of drive by wire as being the entire operation, including steering, shift and throttle. Our cars have throttle by wire and GT2 has shift by wire.
I think it will be a very long time before there is steering by wire in consumer cars though, just too expensive for the reliability and redundancy needed to make it safe.

vipeboy2000

Middle Tennessee
Drive by wire just means there is no mechanical connection such as cables. It is done by electrical signals over a wire. Technically speaking, I think of drive by wire as being the entire operation, including steering, shift and throttle. Our cars have throttle by wire and GT2 has shift by wire.
I think it will be a very long time before there is steering by wire in consumer cars though, just too expensive for the reliability and redundancy needed to make it safe.
the infiniti q50's have steer by wire since 2014 i think... but it still has a mechanical linkage that only engages if the drive by wire system fails.. makes for a smooth feel over bumps but very artificial feeling.

stung_you

Newish Member

Thanks for the nice welcome, also drive by wire is electro-mechanical systems. Also the guy at the dealer when we were buying the car didn't know that lmfao.

Ron

NYC
There is only one thing that i really annoys me and that should have been rectified by the factory..... the brakes!!
This is my 2nd Stinger GT2, I had a 2018 and had terrible brake shudder 2 times. once at 15000 miles and a second at 28000 miles.
Lease was up, turned the car in and got a 2020 GT2 this past November, now has 8800 miles on it and its starting to shudder.
ridiculous, stupid and dangerous.
Now i have to bring the car into Kia and fight with them to repair the brakes and not listen to them tell me its normal wear and tear and that its not covered.
UGH.
Thoughts?

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
now has 8800 miles on it and its starting to shudder.
Now i have to bring the car into Kia and fight with them to repair the brakes and not listen to them tell me its normal wear and tear and that its not covered.
UGH.
Thoughts?
Shuddering brakes are not unsafe, only annoying.

If you've read my comments on brakes threads, you probably already know my "thoughts". As recently as yesterday I was talking about the Stinger's brakes: and after a multi-point inspection they were declared more than good at 41K miles; still have 8mm.

It has to be my driving style, boys and girls. Many of you assert that you are not at all hard on the brakes or an aggressive driver, so it has to be the brakes. The combination of brakes and driving style (more like braking "style" really) makes the difference. Dan Gurney joked that he went to the "school of chicken shit braking"; and to my knowledge he never had a brake failure during a race: whereas Ken Miles, by comparison (and so well dramatized in Ford vs Ferrari), pushed the brakes up to and sometimes beyond their limit; as would Jim Clark and quite a few others I am sure. I brake like my dad (and Gurney, :D) Some of all you all would be like Ken Miles if applied to racing and think it's normal.

Also, batches of pads from different sources? I've wondered about this from the start: I am almost positive that at least one forum member showed pads with "Brembo" on them. But apparently that is the exception rather than the rule. And even so, are all "Brembo" pads actually the pad that was worthy enough to have the name slapped on them?

Finally, and I always say this: MOST (the great majority) of Stingers do not have this problem, or else the forum membership would be even bigger from all the Stinger owners arriving to complain and ask the same questions. We do get a lot of talk about dissatisfaction with the brakes, but compared to the total traffic here it is a very small percentage. I contribute to the length of these threads and I don't even have the shuddering problem (just like I contribute to paint quality discussions and have no issues with my paint); so thread size is not an indicator in itself of the depth or commonness of the problem either.

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
There is only one thing that i really annoys me and that should have been rectified by the factory..... the brakes!!
This is my 2nd Stinger GT2, I had a 2018 and had terrible brake shudder 2 times. once at 15000 miles and a second at 28000 miles.
Lease was up, turned the car in and got a 2020 GT2 this past November, now has 8800 miles on it and its starting to shudder.
UGH.
Thoughts?
Which dealership in NYC are you bringing them to?

I had Yonkers Kia take care of my problems under warranty. They were respectful and did a good job but just took an extremely long time.

Contact corporate, create a case number, and document everything. The dealership should cover it without a cost... especially if it's within 12 months and 12k miles...

You're not the only one... I have friends with some very heavy and powerful cars (E63, Hellcats, Mustangs, Camaros, S550) and they haven't run into brake problems like this even after driving like savages...

I drive like a slow coward 95% of the time and had this issue happen within 3000 miles and 6 months of ownership... It seems like a negative lottery tbh...

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I appreciate your response ...But what is it exactly that your saying?
Usually exactly too much! :D TL;DR version, the brakes are safe and the great majority of Stingers don't have the shuddering/deposits issue (secondarily, braking style drives the problem).

Ron

NYC
I bought both Stingers at Jack Daniels in New Jersey.
I've also bought from them 3 Audi A6's and my current Porsche Carrera 4S.
None of my previous cars from them have had brake problems.. only the Stingers.
I'm sure its not my driving style.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
There isn't any way to be sure just talking about it. Another thread talking about brakes, just this afternoon, observed BMWs and other higher end cars also having shuddering brake issues on their forums. And another poster without issues since he bedded his OE pads (now over 33K miles in) has c. half his pads left; while I have 8mm of mine left. This is the kind of difference that comes with braking styles: I have 41K miles.

Nevertheless, there is a simple fix for the Stinger and we all know it's to change away from the OE pads. Why some fight doing this is the mystery to me.

HDTurbo

Saratoga, NY
Well this is just awful. I have a new intake and put a JB4 on the car. I’m assuming I’ll have to remove everything before bringing it back to KIA to fix the issue?

I bought both Stingers at Jack Daniels in New Jersey.
I've also bought from them 3 Audi A6's and my current Porsche Carrera 4S.
None of my previous cars from them have had brake problems.. only the Stingers.
So you haven’t read the brake threads in here? Plenty robust debate. Personally, I think people overheat the brakes, don’t let them cool and end up with rotor deposits that cause the shuddering. I’ve always bedded in brakes per manuf instructions and never parked a car until sufficiently letting the brake system cool off. I’ve had this happen on upgraded systems on my turbo subarus, but not on my Stinger as I’m careful. Much debated topic...Merlin is of the same belief I think..?

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Merlin is of the same belief I think..?
Sounds like it. Today I've been responding to several brake discussions, and I feel to make the point that braking style is subjective; I think there is more of it involved in the creation of pad deposits than most of us are willing to consider. But I still think that the biggest factor is the pad material/compound that Kia issues for the N. American market. It suits most drivers; but a significant number of drivers wind up cooking their pads enough to gunk up their rotors. A driver's assessment of his braking style can only be described with words. The reality could be quite different when compared to other driver and vehicle combinations: they all look/sound the same on here, but there have to be marked differences at play to produce such widely varying results. I'm probably at one extreme, and our friend who's had his rotors replaced four times is toward the other end. But to read our self assessment of how we drive, how we brake, specifically, you'd get the impression that we are alike. Something isn't alike. Is it variance in pads or driving conditions? Both, of course, but which dominates?

Ron

NYC
Hi all
I joined the forum back in 2018 or 2019 when i got my 1st Stinger and yes i read lots of info re the brakes .
So with my new 2020 Stinger i was much more aware of breaking it in properly and letting them cool off etc.
however living in N.J. and driving pretty often in Manhattan its difficult to think about how you should be breaking when your trying not to hit people, cars, dogs, and Uber drivers (LOL).
However i agree driving styles have a lot has to do with even the longevity of the entire vehicle.
Thank you all.

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
lmfao Ron I feel you!!

I sometimes commute into either Queens, Manhattan, or Brooklyn and I swear I lose years off my life with how stressful it is not to kill anyone. I genuinely hate commuting into the city... haha

Also, I don't think it's your driving if I am being honest. I baby my car... I am extremely careful... and I got the problem too... I had a E36 and a WRX with pretty cheap brakes (rotors/pads) at some point before upgrading them and never had this issue... and I beat on those cars... the Stinger I am so careful and respectful with because I want it to last a solid decade at least... it's a fun and exciting daily and the most expensive car anyone has owned in my family lmfao... I don't want either of my parents or grandmother saying "I told you so!" if the car dies on me haha!

HDTurbo

Saratoga, NY
Indeed! As I always say and my work colleagues hate, “caveats, details, and nuances”... they matter. So far so good with my binders, but it’s smart to consider everyone’s experiences! Time to add brake system component temperature monitoring and feedback... I know Merlin is all for more regulation