Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Dealer Markup $4000 markup for unecessary items and $5000 markup for color!

Discussion in 'The Stinger Dealership Experience' started by Jaychang1, May 16, 2018.

1. Jaychang1

Jaychang1 United States Newish Member

Kia Store in Elizabethtown, KY currently has a Micro blue GT2 on the showroom floor with a final cost of $56,500 while the car has an MSRP of $52,500 for 1. mud flaps 2. scotch-guard 3. nitrogen in the tires and 4. pinstripes (which the car does not have). They also advertise a Sunset Yellow GT for $41,500 on the KIA site and on there own site, the internet price is also $41,500. When you go to the dealership, the MSRP sticker price is $41,500 with a final price on the car for $46,500 with the $4995 mark-up for the limited edition Sunset Yellow paint.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

That paint must have crushed up diamonds in it. Sheesh, who falls for these tactics?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ucinn

Ucinn United States Stinger Enthusiast

There are plenty of people who fall for these. Believe it or not, there are people who come in and pay MSRP just like they would a gallon of milk..it's crazy.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Kamauxx

Oh, I know people fall for it, but...why?! How can someone be that stupid and still amass enough money to spend over MSRP on a car?

As the saying goes, "there's an ass for every seat."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ajmitchell77

ajmitchell77 United States Newish Member

This kind of thing is what I was experiencing with all 4 of the KIA stores in the Louisville area. All are under one onwership as far as I understand it.

My solution was to reach out to KIA of Muncie. Not too far of a drive and no games. Good luck in your quest!

• Like Like x 5
  6. NYLAWBIZ

NYLAWBIZ United States Stinger Enthusiast

Thank goodness we live in the age of the internet. Literally all the information in the world at our fingertips, and global shopping from our armchairs. Granted transportation cost on a car is not nominal, but workable. Shop far and wide. While I did not do bushiness with a dealership on here I (since my purchased predated by awareness of the site), I am sure any dealership represented on this site would be wise enough to treat you very fairly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jaychang1

I walked out of the KIA store in Louisville by St. Matthews and ended up getting a Ceramic Silver GT2 from FL with 2K miles on it for less than the price they were offering a GT for.

8. Jaychang1

9. Kamauxx

Wow, nice. Was it used or just used a lot as a demo?

10. Jaychang1

It was a car the GM leased and then sold back to the dealership so that I could purchase it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jaychang1

sticker price.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Kamauxx

They even tried to make it match the sticker that Kia shipped the car with. How ambitious.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Mach_Tuck

Mach_Tuck United States Stinger Enthusiast

Just laugh, shake your head, and walk away...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. KiaofMuncie

KiaofMuncie United States Kia Dealership Stinger Dealer

What can we do to help you find a Stinger? Please let me know. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  15. MicroBlue

MicroBlue United States Active Member

Will be interesting to see how long they have those cars with that type of markup

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Dmchristie1

Dmchristie1 United States Member

I “bought” mine online through the Kia site and thought I was paying retail. Box said “purchase now” and I did.
    Went to the dealer and purchased yellow had a 10k market uplift.
    + $900 hidden stinger uplift hidden in the lease financing I found after I agreed to purchase and was in with finance guy.
    + nitrogen “appearance” charge too.
    I Didn’t pay the uplifts and did lease cash with buyout.
    Just takes a while and a calculator to work through the BS

Not sure how many yellows are left but you should be able to get rid of all or most “uplifts removed in negotiations.

17. Dmchristie1

Dmchristie1 United States Member

I have fond memories of E town.... I always advised my troops to never buy a car at a dealer next to an Army Post without reinforcements.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada Stinger Enthusiast

That is appalling - and I would think it's something that Kia would look on very poorly indeed. Someone in the area should forward that to Kia USA and ask them if pasting on a look-alike upcharge sticker to their factory MSRP sticker is accepted dealer practice.

Not only did they do a poor job of matching the size and border alignment on this 'mark-up' sticker with the original factory window sticker, they also apparently couldn't vertically line up the print properly, when overprinting with the few lines of gouging information that were added after the fact. The overprint means they must have ordered a batch of pre-printed boilerplate stock, so they could create their own supplemental charges on the fly, and try and make them look like KIA standard charges.

Sickening. :thumbdown:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jaychang1

Went to the Kia Store East in Louisville, KY and took some pics...they have the same owner as the original dealer I wrote about. The first picture shows the MSRP at $52,405 on top and on sale for $53,395 hanging from the rear-view mirror in the car. Why is it on a "RED TAG" sale for that much you ask? Simple, look at the second picture and you can see the added mark-up of $3,990 with a "Seller's Asking Price" of $56,395. It's a bargain... LOL!

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada Stinger Enthusiast

I see those guys have added a little a block of information highlighted in red at the bottom, with a gas pump graphic and large title stating that section is about GAS MILEAGE, as well as large bold print about consulting a 'FREE GAS MILEAGE GUIDE' (with no reference whatsoever as to what that might be, or where it can be found).

No doubt that large font, bolded blurb of bogus and completely useless fuel mileage nonsense performs a valuable role - it causes almost everyone to skip reading the fine print below it (still encapsulated in the bold red 'GAS MILEAGE' block, but in the smallest of fonts), which is where it reveals that the label has been stuck on there by the dealer, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the manufacturer.

upload_2018-5-29_10-10-57.png

IANAL, but it's pretty clear that the intent on creating this 'companion' label was give their grotesque markup the air of legitimacy, while using every means possible to hide the fact it's a flat out cash grab by the dealer.

These kind of low life tricks by unethical weasels need to be challenged - somebody needs to report these scams to KIA USA, the Better Business Bureau, and whatever regulatory bodies govern dealerships in that area. If I'd seen this at a Canadian dealership, I'd be that guy ...

• Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted