kia stinger store

3M tape failure on spoiler

cncBilly

1000 Posts Club!
North Vancouver
We installed the rear trunk spoiler a couple of weeks ago. Today we noticed the corner lifting. Any advice on how to remedy this?
Same thing happened to me. Basically you will have to take it off and redo it. This time with wider tape. Mine surprisingly pulled off pretty easy. Cleaning the tape off the spoiler mind you was a P.I.T.A.

NS_Stinger

1000 Posts Club!
Whoever installed it probably didn't follow the proper install procedure. It's a pretty big task to fix it properly. You'd have to remove the spoiler, remove the tape (total pain in the ass), clean the spoiler really well where the new tape is going, buy and apply new tape, clean the hatch contact area with a soap that strips the surface (dawn), use 3m adhesive promoter (this stuff is a must) on the hatch lid where the new tape will contact and apply the spoiler in a warm garage or warm day.

Luminary

Sustaining Member +
Northern VA
use 3m adhesive promoter (this stuff is a must)

This is absolutely correct and the best thing you can do to keep that baby attached. :)

moinmoin

1000 Posts Club!
Ontario, Canada
Any advice on how to remedy this?
3M tape used for structural purposes should be installed with 3M Adhesion Promoter. You get it at you local Auto Supply Store - the one tat supplies Auto Body Shops - or off Amazon.
Use new tape, the Promoter and you spoiler won't come off again. The sort of shop that I mentioned will also sell a drill mountable disk that will take off tape residue easily. Good Luck!