kia stinger store

3D Printed Snorkel Swap

Hyperjetta

I'm working on my first 3D printed mod and chose to design something to replace the stock intake snorkels that sit behind the bumper cover.

This is somewhat of a hybrid between the Velossa Tech Big Mouth and the JT intake cutouts. I didn't like the fact that you had to remove the entire radiator shroud with the VT, but the simplicity of the design was appealing. The JT intake requires you to cut ports into the shroud rather than remove it, but its only available as part of their kit.

So...I started prototyping models and while I haven't quite reached a final design that I'm happy with I thought that I was far enough along to share. All of the prototypes were printed using a large extruder with low resolution in order to speed up the design cycles. The final print will be much higher res and so should be much smoother.

Version 3 (still working on the overall size and fitment up to the shroud)
IMG_20190929_161252.jpg

Left - version 5/Right - version 4 (Fit is getting better, but still not quite right)
IMG_20191001_183646.jpg
IMG_20191001_183613.jpg

This is a close-up of the left side. You can see the air channels directly into the airbox here.
IMG_20191001_183634.jpg

cncBilly

1000 Posts Club!
North Vancouver
Excellent!! Nice work you get all 5 stars from me. :thumbup:

Andy B

Ontario Canada
Any plans on sharing the STL file once you finalize the part?

Cyrus Duong

Olathe, KS
These look great and good work! I've been wanting to cad up a heat shield for my DIY intakes but I've been busy playing with other mods. And my printer is sketchy as best. Too many toys...

Anyways, up to you if you want to share the files. Maybe you can finalize the design and sell them to those that don't have a printer to do it themselves.

Just know if you sell more than one off you'll need to be an authorized vendor according to the rules I believe.

Houstinger1

Houston, TX
This looks fantastic! I would be very interested in those files once you have it production worthy! Great job!

StungBlueGT2

Sustaining Member
PB Florida, U.S.A.
Great job! I’m not going to buy a 3D printer so I’d be interested in buying any of your versions 3-5+ if the price is right.:thumbup:

nhcowboy28

1000 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
Great job! I’m not going to buy a 3D printer so I’d be interested in buying any of your versions 3-5+ if the price is right.:thumbup:
I got a project for you/@Rynil2000

3d print a nice raised front / rear badge/emblem like the “EV concepts”... black background with red lettering (matching as close as possible to Hichroma red).

E00A490C-457F-4E0B-90F5-D56AF12728A1.jpeg

xot1

1000 Posts Club!
Seoul
Amazing!!!
I was planning on making my own using 0.5T alluminium pannels but the fit to attach it to the hole is hard to design.
I am willing to buy this in any form you prefer.
STL file or actual snorkel.

xot1

1000 Posts Club!
Seoul
Could you show more how you attach it to the car?

xot1

1000 Posts Club!
Seoul
BTW in my case it needs to be extend a little bit less on the inside because of the wagner intercooler.
Thats why I was thinking of modifying myself that side if its not too hard to do.(have no clue)

20191006_130439.jpg

Hyperjetta

Wow! I am happy to see there are others interested in this!

Once I feel confident with a design I'd be willing to take orders for you guys (at a fair price or course ;)). I'll also consider sharing some version of the STL for those that want to print it themselves. Anyone know if I need to be an authorized vendor? Not sure if I'd this would be considered a "commercial posting".

Hyperjetta

Would you be able to make 2 pieces to be able to connect intakes to each end? That would be awsome.
It's not something I'm ready to try at moment, but it sounds like a neat idea, and it should be doable. I'm assuming you'd want to mount your air filters up front behind the bumper cover?

Hyperjetta

Could you show more how you attach it to the car?
I have a new set to throw on once the weather cooperates. I'll grab some more photos for you then since I'll have everything pulled apart.

Hyperjetta

BTW in my case it needs to be extend a little bit less on the inside because of the wagner intercooler.
Thats why I was thinking of modifying myself that side if its not too hard to do.(have no clue)

View attachment 32457
Holy cow...that is a big intercooler. If you have 3D CAD software and some patience its not too bad, but getting the measurements precise can be tricky. Are you thinking you would want it to more or less go all the way forward to where the original shroud meets up with the bumper cover?