Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3D Printed Snorkel Swap

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Hyperjetta, Oct 9, 2019 at 9:41 AM.

1. Hyperjetta

Hyperjetta United States Member

I'm working on my first 3D printed mod and chose to design something to replace the stock intake snorkels that sit behind the bumper cover.

This is somewhat of a hybrid between the Velossa Tech Big Mouth and the JT intake cutouts. I didn't like the fact that you had to remove the entire radiator shroud with the VT, but the simplicity of the design was appealing. The JT intake requires you to cut ports into the shroud rather than remove it, but its only available as part of their kit.

So...I started prototyping models and while I haven't quite reached a final design that I'm happy with I thought that I was far enough along to share. All of the prototypes were printed using a large extruder with low resolution in order to speed up the design cycles. The final print will be much higher res and so should be much smoother.

Version 3 (still working on the overall size and fitment up to the shroud)
    IMG_20190929_161252.jpg

Left - version 5/Right - version 4 (Fit is getting better, but still not quite right)
    IMG_20191001_183646.jpg
    IMG_20191001_183613.jpg

This is a close-up of the left side. You can see the air channels directly into the airbox here.
    IMG_20191001_183634.jpg

• Winner Winner x 11
    • Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 2
  2. cncBilly

cncBilly Canada Active Member

Excellent!! Nice work you get all 5 stars from me. :thumbup:

3. Andy B

Andy B Canada Newish Member

Any plans on sharing the STL file once you finalize the part?

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. stargtsi

stargtsi United States Member

I like...Should sell me a set once complete

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. BertBert2019GT

BertBert2019GT United States Active Member

awesome! sell us the file!

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Cyrus Duong

Cyrus Duong United States Member

These look great and good work! I've been wanting to cad up a heat shield for my DIY intakes but I've been busy playing with other mods. And my printer is sketchy as best. Too many toys...

Anyways, up to you if you want to share the files. Maybe you can finalize the design and sell them to those that don't have a printer to do it themselves.

Just know if you sell more than one off you'll need to be an authorized vendor according to the rules I believe.

7. Jays_stinger

Jays_stinger United States Member

Would you be able to make 2 pieces to be able to connect intakes to each end? That would be awsome.

8. Houstinger1

Houstinger1 United States Member

This looks fantastic! I would be very interested in those files once you have it production worthy! Great job!

9. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Great job! I’m not going to buy a 3D printer so I’d be interested in buying any of your versions 3-5+ if the price is right.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  10. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States 1000 Posts Club!

I got a project for you/@Rynil2000

3d print a nice raised front / rear badge/emblem like the “EV concepts”... black background with red lettering (matching as close as possible to Hichroma red).

E00A490C-457F-4E0B-90F5-D56AF12728A1.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  11. xot1

xot1 Korea, Republic of 1000 Posts Club!

Amazing!!!
    I was planning on making my own using 0.5T alluminium pannels but the fit to attach it to the hole is hard to design.
    I am willing to buy this in any form you prefer.
    STL file or actual snorkel.

• Like Like x 1
  12. xot1

Could you show more how you attach it to the car?

• Like Like x 1
  13. CoconutRob

CoconutRob United States Stinger Enthusiast

Same here

• Like Like x 1
  14. xot1

BTW in my case it needs to be extend a little bit less on the inside because of the wagner intercooler.
    Thats why I was thinking of modifying myself that side if its not too hard to do.(have no clue)

20191006_130439.jpg

15. Gtecko

Gtecko Canada Active Member

this is not bad looking at all !!! very creative - Iam following this thread

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hyperjetta

Wow! I am happy to see there are others interested in this!

Once I feel confident with a design I'd be willing to take orders for you guys (at a fair price or course ;)). I'll also consider sharing some version of the STL for those that want to print it themselves. Anyone know if I need to be an authorized vendor? Not sure if I'd this would be considered a "commercial posting".

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Hyperjetta

It's not something I'm ready to try at moment, but it sounds like a neat idea, and it should be doable. I'm assuming you'd want to mount your air filters up front behind the bumper cover?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hyperjetta

I have a new set to throw on once the weather cooperates. I'll grab some more photos for you then since I'll have everything pulled apart.

19. Hyperjetta

Holy cow...that is a big intercooler. If you have 3D CAD software and some patience its not too bad, but getting the measurements precise can be tricky. Are you thinking you would want it to more or less go all the way forward to where the original shroud meets up with the bumper cover?

20. robz32

robz32 United States 2500 Posts Club! Texas Stinger Swarm

looking good, a great alternative to the VT ducts. Some more refinement and it will look amazing.
    Keep up the great work

• Agree Agree x 2
Draft saved Draft deleted