Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

360º cam: YES! Cup Holder Cover: YES!

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Technology Discussion' started by eljay, Sep 30, 2017.

1. eljay

eljay United States Stinger Enthusiast

I just got home the Orange County (Anaheim) Auto Show. I spent a lot of time collecting info, but haven't looked at recent Forum entries, so some of this may already have been verified by some of you.

Yes! The Stinger will have a 360º camera. The rep and I circled the floor model as he pointed out the locations of all the cameras. I pointed out that this was a Korean spec car, but he and another rep both swore that the U.S. spec cars will have it, too.

They also swore that it will have a cup holder cover. [note: Almost every other car I looked at, even much more expensive ones, either had no covers or covers that closed manually like a roll top desk.]

The only colors we'll get to buy in the U.S. are snow white pearl, red (can't remember the adjective, but it was probably the high chroma), panthera metal, silky silver, black pearl, micro blue, and ceramic silver. NO yellow, and I asked specifically if it was simply missing from the display of paint colors, and they said no, no yellow at this time. Maybe they're saving it for a mid-year special edition?

I mentioned that there was quite a kerfuffle going on over the price. Of course they couldn't quote price, but when I mentioned that we'd heard the GT2 RWD might be coming in over $50k, both reps looked absolutely horrified and said NO, Kia was definitely planning to bring it in under $50k.

They have 2 red cars on display, and I was surprised at how much the color changes based on the light. The one revolving under the spots looked true red; the one down on the display floor looked dark red.

The display car did not have the passenger seat controls at the top of the seat.

I overheard another rep telling someone to expect to see the Stinger out in November.

Unfortunately, no 2018 Buick Regal GS on display, or, of course, Genesis G70. But I did sit in the BMW 4-series Grand Coupe, the Audi A5 Sportback, the Jag XE, and several other luxury and near luxury sports sedans that are running together in my mind now, and the Stinger was the most comfortable for me. (I was ticked that the Giulia was separated from the public, so I didn't get to sit in it.) The Stinger has the most intuitively arranged controls, the best steering wheel adjustment (I can't believe how many were mechanical, not electric), the best rear leg room, and just generally the best feel--for my taste.

Most importantly, of all the cars I looked at, the Stinger consistently had the largest crowd gathered around it.

No Stingers were available for test drives, of course, but I drove a Cadenza (in Disneyland traffic, sadly) with the 3.3tt and a lot of the same features, and I'm besotted. Completely. If something goes wrong with the Stinger, I can easily settle for the Cadenza.

Edit: And the Cadenza has a CD player for us old folks. Nah, it's still the Stinger for me. I'll just have to adapt.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
  2. damtachoa

damtachoa United States Member

Stinger GT2 RWD under $50K, that's a great news.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger United States Administrator Staff Member

Thank you, @eljay! This is great news! Also... 3.3TT Cadenza?

4. eljay

I may be wrong--he said it was a 3.3, and I thought he said TT, but when I asked if it was the same engine as the Stinger, he wasn't sure. I'm guessing now that it wasn't a TT, but I didn't question it then, as I really knew very little about the Cadenza before driving it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Buttercream

Buttercream United States Member

Hallelujah! I was worried about the omission of the cup holder cover and the 360 degrees camera system, glad to hear that wasn't the case. By chance, did you ask about rear heated seats as well?

6. hej

hej United States Active Member Founding Member

Interesting news, in contrast to all the speculation going on the last week or two. I wonder how much of the feedback that the reps gave you was info that they themselves got from this forum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. unintelligible

unintelligible United States Member

Not sure I trust a rep at an auto show over a document on an official Kia website. But I’m crossing everything I can in hopes this is true.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Bamm1

Bamm1 United States Stinger Enthusiast Founding Member

Thanks for taking the time to ask and report back!

I was told by Kia reps at an auto show (standing next to a Stinger on a podium), just weeks after it made its world deput, that a "loaded" Stinger was going to be under 50k. So I asked, including AWD and any options they decide to bundle with it? They said yes, they want to be VERY competitive with pricing in the US. That seems to have turned out to be flash.

For what is worth the GT2 RWD is ALREADY 100% under 50K. It appears Kia just "accidently on purpose" failed to include destination when it gave its estimate.

I really hope what you heard about the 360 degree camera turns out to be true. But I am going to take it with a grain of salt. Kia made it a point to only list "rear view camera with guidelines" as standard for every trim level. That seems like a pretty big editing oversight.

But any contradictory news is good news while we speculate. On that note, was there any mention of a wireless charging pad or rear heated seats for the US?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris

Chris United States Stinger Enthusiast

I still have hope for this. If you read the press release it says this.
    Resting within the center console is a wireless Smartphone charging pad and Bluetooth®6 hands-free operation is standard while many of the vehicle’s subsystems may be accessed through the steering-wheel-mounted controls.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  10. Jayce

Jayce United States Active Member

I really hope that's correct. If it doesn't have those features, I'll likely just grab another Optima. I can get one with all the features for like 36k. I'm not gonna pay 50k for a vehicle that doesn't have everything in it that I want. I'll just save money. I love my current Optima, and while I like the Stinger more, I'd be fine with another Optima.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. eljay

I agree we need to wait for proof--but given that the Cadenza I drove today, which will have a top MSRP lower than the Stinger, had every one of these features we're all wondering about (except maybe the rear seat warmer--I didn't think to ask), it makes sense that the Stinger will have them, too. Otherwise, the world just won't make sense at all to me any more. :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. davebo

davebo United States Stinger Enthusiast

What the eff? No yellow? Great, you just lost a sale Kia.

(or I'll cave and get red, or just wait a year until they do offer yellow?)

13. david norman

david norman United States Active Member

I have a 12 optima and have not even drove or sat in the new one. That doesn’t make sense for that model to have a 360 camera but the Stinger doesn’t. The new 2018 optima has a smaller engine I think than my 12. wonder how it drives and interior changes.

14. davebo

Did they change engines on the Optima? I thought it was still the 2.0t that they detuned in 2014 down to 255hp to get better mileage, which is what's in the base Stinger.

15. david norman

My 12 has a 2.0 274 horsepower. Maybe torque is up since hp is down.

16. davebo

I just check and the 2018 model is only 245hp and 260ft/lbs of torque. I was looking up 0-60 times since the change and I see the old 2.0t (I also have the 2012 sx) had a 6.1 second 0-60, then the downtuned version got 6.6. So if the much heavier stinger 2.0t has a 5.9 second 0-60 while still only making 255hp, it must be due to the newer transmission?

I'd just like to take the opportunity to thank Sal for the leniency he grants in us straying massively from the original topic of 360 cams and cup holder covers :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. david norman

I’m am upset though because the rep at the dealer said the red will probably only have black Napa. I love the red with red leather. I have gone to the dealer 3 times sitting in the car and my wife even loves the red on red which is a good thing.

18. zoop

zoop United States Member

All of the official articles are quoting the MSRP of the RWD GT2 as $50395, with AWD another $2200.

Actual selling prices will likely be 3-5k below that putting it under 50k, but the list prices it seems are going to be over 50k for sure.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a12482585/kia-stinger-price/

19. david norman

You’re not gonna believe this but in Fontana California at the Kia dealership I live next to they are starting to film a Christmas commercial. they’re setting up and they have several stingers GT all the AWD and they do have the 360 camera I’m going to load a couple pictures on in just a minute

• Like Like x 1
  20. david norman

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted