3 Strikes and not sure what next

OneIota

Sustaining Member
I posted under the lighting forum but now looking for some general opinions. I'm having issues with the alignment and action of the Dynamic Headlights. I had adjusted the height a while back via the adjustment screws a while back, maybe late January, and all was well for a while. At some point, maybe back in March, my headlights became both angled toward the left, with the right headlight pointing pretty much ahead of me and the left pointed a bit to left side. The bending action seemed to be hit and miss. The alignment does not correct with the start up movement and stays misaligned. Have taken the car into the dealer I purchased from 3x time with the first time them telling me not sure what they could do for lateral adjustment, having me come back later with an adjustment they said fixed the issue. No luck.

Took it back in recently along with getting first oil change (turned out complementary by the dealer since it was the first) along with the headlight issue, hatch rattle (hoping they would do the TSB fix and it would go away), jerky/hunting transmission shifting (all modes), a rare clunk when turning, and a question about HUD settings randomly and spontaneously resetting itself (height, brightness).

They reported the HUD was working correctly (hard to replicate anyway) so will have to see how that goes.

They noted the "bumpers for the hatch were in the lowest position" and were adjusted - not sure what that means but the rattle is worse. I specifically asked about the TSB and the service advisor said they found it, but from what I've seen of the TSB it wasn't what was done.

They couldn't find any faults for the transmission but seems they reset it. The shifting seems smoother with less hunting. The clunk I would get rarely so not sure what to make of it (could this be the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) engaging while turning? I don't know what to expect for that).

The headlights - they told me the left light was frozen, this was keeping the right from responding correctly and throwing them both off and ended up replacing the headlamp to a reported cost of $2000 (under warranty) and 10 days of time since the part had to be ordered and "because the bumper had to be removed" (shaky justification to me but I was optimistic). Got the car back 3 days ago and finally tonight went for a test. Unfortunately, seems the headlights are still the same as they were when this first started. I'd be more satisfied if they were aligned correctly even if they didn't bend, but that's not even the case.

I considered looking into Lemon lawing the car but I'm not enthusiastic about that idea given the time/cost of the process and the time/cost I've put in for the tint/ceramic coating/sway bars put into this one (luckily not some of the other planned stuff I put on hold till this is sorted). And I feel like a headlight alignment issue is way less than what it seems other folks have had in the forum for a lemon.

I plan to contact the Kia VIP Line again to update my case. The last representative I had was definitely not helpful. I got advice after the 2nd go to call when I'm taking the car in again for the 3rd time to make sure the dealer and corporate are in contact and can make arrangements for a loaner and getting the regional tech to inspect the car. When I did, the rep said nothing about setting up a regional tech and that the loaner could only be approved after the car is diagnosed again, even after the service advisor I had talked directly to the rep on the phone and told them corporate could approve the loaner without waiting for that but the VIP rep said I had to wait for the repeat diagnosis. Fortunately, I guess, the regional tech was at the dealer anyway for some other cars (don't know if other Stingers but I'm guessing not based on the service advisor saying not many come in).

I've lost faith that my original dealership can fix the problem, and I'm wondering whether the regional tech was involved in the repair after the replacement got to the dealer considering the time span. I plan to try another dealer that seems to have a better Stinger reputation (Cerritos Kia) at some point but wondering if anyone has suggestions on what I should expect (or demand?) at this point.

The picture is what the headlights look like straight on. Turning left they sometimes are pointing on top of each other. Turning right, sometimes they look almost as they should going straight.

Attachments

Last edited:

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
What a tale of woe. :rolleyes:

I never liked the sound of "bending lights" and have been happy as a clam to have static lights. Maybe you could just lobotomize that feature? I think it's a bit too "trick" to work all the time.

I have to ask, though: is the inconsistency a hazard, or just annoying because you can tell that the bendy lights are not doing exactly what they are intended to do?

If I had bendy lights and they lit up the roadway and margins just fine, I think I would live with the idiosyncrasy.

OneIota

Sustaining Member
What a tale of woe. :rolleyes:

I never liked the sound of "bending lights" and have been happy as a clam to have static lights. Maybe you could just lobotomize that feature? I think it's a bit too "trick" to work all the time.

I have to ask, though: is the inconsistency a hazard, or just annoying because you can tell that the bendy lights are not doing exactly what they are intended to do?

If I had bendy lights and they lit up the roadway and margins just fine, I think I would live with the idiosyncrasy.
Like I mentioned, I'd be satisfied without the bending, but the light pattern is misaligned even if I have the lights to On rather than Auto (where they do the bending) so I have less light on the passenger side periphery because the passenger light is pointing in front of me on the driver side.

To give a somewhat poor example (because I'm angled a bit down toward the street), this is what my lights can look like at night, with very little light going to my right.

Attachments

Last edited:

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Like I mentioned, I'd be satisfied without the bending, but the light pattern is misaligned even if I have the lights to On rather than Auto (where they do the bending) so I have less light on the passenger side periphery because the passenger light is pointing in front of me on the driver side.

To give a somewhat poor example (because I'm angled a bit down toward the street), this is what my lights can look like at night, with very little light going to my right.
Yeah, poor example is right; your pic looks thoroughly normal to me. Your "cut outs" are centered. So, it looks like the right one is to the left instead of pointing straight. Not egregiously so, though. What will bug is if inconsistency is present, i.e. bending and not bending, bending a bit, and then a lot; bending getting stuck in a radical position, etc. There must be a way to get the lights centered and then kill the bendy feature. That's what I'd ask about.