Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3.3 TT noise on cold startup from high pressure fuel pump is it normal (knock)

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by HORNET, May 11, 2018.

1. HORNET

HORNET Newish Member

I hear this low knock on first starting up and it gets a little louder after a while.It lasts about a few minutes and slowly disappears as the engine rpm returns to normal.I located it's source and it's coming from the high pressure fuel pump next to the engine on the drivers side.After restarting during the day no noise .Is this normal for this high pressure pump to do?

2. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

On cold starts the ECU pumps more fuel to the air/fuel mixture. The ECU also makes the car idle at a higher RPM.

It's normal for your car to make all kinds of noise when initially started after cooling off. It's also normal for it to start up quieter throughout the day.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tbatten

Tbatten United States New Member

Yeah that scared me too. Took mine back to the dealer ready to lose it. They held it overnight to get a cold start. Used a stethoscope, sent it to techs. Then checked the others they had on the lot. It's the same with them all. They said it's normal on cold starts and wont cause any problems.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HORNET

HORNET Newish Member

Thanks much appreciated

5. Dspec 1

Dspec 1 Canada Member

Mine just started doing this after the first oil change. Good to know.

6. StingerNYC

StingerNYC United States Active Member

It's the high pressure fuel injectors. Very normal.

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted