Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3.3 Muffler Deletes, video inside and out

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Angelo In Seattle, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Angelo In Seattle

Angelo In Seattle United States Member

Hey all, I recently had my mufflers deleted and received a lot of requests to post how it sounds. I am very happy with the results, very minimal drone (certainly not as bad as others claimed) and just sounds damn good for about $130 out the door.

I'd say these were about 45-55 pounds total weight reduction and my god just the start up and idle of the car sounds right. Should of done this long time ago! Anyways here is the video I was fortunate enough to have a friend record while I drove.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States Stinger Enthusiast

Love the sound! Thanks for posting videos and for the review.:thumbup:

I’m thinking of getting an axleback, or possibly doing the same muffler delete. Hard to beat it for the price and great inexpensive upgrade.

I see you said the drone is minimal and was curious if you could help a brother out and make one more video? If possible cruising at highway speeds(65-speed limit;)). Please no rush, but it would be great to know if an occasional road trip would be tolerable. Thanks again and enjoy that sound!

3. Angelo In Seattle

Sure I only have an iPhone, I will try and get some audio clips for you although the mic wont do too great a job picking it up with wind noise. Will see what I can do.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RobertE

RobertE United States Newish Member

Hey, I am thinking about doing this too and I wanted to know more about your setup. Just to be clear, you cut the mufflers off at the end of the exhaust and replaced them with a Y pipe?
    I got quoted $430 at Meineke for the muffler delete, which I believe is a total ripoff. They said it would take 3 - 4 hours to make the "custom" exhaust. All I want is a cheap muffler delete for crying out loud instead of jumping the gun for the Borla exhaust.

5. Angelo In Seattle

Okay this is my similar experience, and yes $430 is high. After some research the best course and what is done in my video was this.

I said I don't care about the Y pipe. I want the mufflers cutoff and just another single piece of pipe per side routing towards the bumper fascia and lined up with one of the exits. This greatly reduced the labor time and costs. I still got quoted 300ish, 275, and finally a reputable shop for $132 out the door. It was done in about 25 minutes and sounded great!

He bent and test-fitted the new pipe a couple times, welded it on, and added a J hangar and we were done. You def dont need the Y pipe or to make it all 4. Simple exit to the bumper from each side and you are good. Try to get as close to $140-$120 as you can. The job was so quick and simple for the shop he laughed when I told him how much others were charging.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. RobertE

Thanks for getting back to me. You sure did get a great deal on that setup.
    I'm still thinking about doing it myself but, I will hold off for now. I picked my stinger up yesterday so I want to give it some time before I start to make changes. But the muffler delete is definitely still on the table for the future.

7. Angelo In Seattle

No problem! Yeah I hear your, I have had mine since July 7th and as of today the mods done are; Tint 20% all around minus windshield, Stinger Rear badge swap, AWD decal removal, and the Muffler Deletes. Last thing I plan to do is intakes from Tork Motorsports, and finally a ceramic coating to protect it all and be done for a while. Well I say that anyway...

8. StungBlueGT2

Thanks and windows up shouldn’t have too much wind noise. But whatever you can do would be appreciated.:thumbup:

9. Shockington

Shockington Norway Member

Sounds great!

But what was with that "thumb turn" at 45 seconds!? Looked so weird.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Angelo In Seattle

Lol it’s a bad habit, we were turning around in the parking lot several times and I was letting the wheel free turn around my thumb.

11. Angelo In Seattle

Okay here you go, and anyone else that may be curious. Let me know what you all think.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. StungBlueGT2

Perfect video and agree it doesn’t sound bad at all.

I could hear slight drone between 2k-2.5k rpm but it wasn’t nearly as loud as other claimed. Most catbacks I’ve heard, except EVC versions, actually seem to have more drone.

Thanks for confirming that muffler deletes or axlebacks give the deep aggressive sound most people are looking for without the extra cost and drone of catbacks!:thumbup:

13. Angelo In Seattle

You got it man, glad it sounded like you were hoping for. I agree, this sound was exactly what I wanted and for $130! I was so bummed in my early research becuase I wanted better sound so bad but all the exhaust systems were $1000 plus! I couldn't be happier, and this combined with my intakes coming soon itll be an easy 25-30hp power gain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Adamdan

Adamdan Canada Active Member

I wonder how it would sound with muffler delete and downpipes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. RobertE

I went to a local muffler shop today and got quoted $160 for 2 single pipes and $250 for 2 Y pipes. I'm leaning more toward the Y pipes since its only $90 bucks more. I'll drop the car off on Tuesday to get it done and post some videos as well.

• Like Like x 1
  16. RobertE

@Adamdan Same. I am thinking about getting the ssrperformance downpipes after I do my muffler delete for the 30hp increase. Both combined should be about a 40hp increase which is insane.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mike04SVT

Mike04SVT United States Member

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Tonkabob

Tonkabob United States Stinger Enthusiast

Very loud. Torks car had muffler delete and down pipe w secondary cat delete and they laughed how quiet my ark with flowmaster dbx was compared. The tork car was twice as loud. Not sure if he removed the silencers or not.
    Just the down pipe may be the way to go. Ads 25-30 HP vs 12 HP for the muffler delete and gives it some sound - $400.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. A-10Wingman

A-10Wingman United States Member

Sounds great! I have an appointment with a shop by the house. He quoted me $40 a side

20. RobertE

Just got the Y pipes put on this morning. It sounds great

• Like Like x 2
Draft saved Draft deleted