kia stinger store

2022 Update

DTD

I have seen some articles on the internet talking about how the 2021 will not be getting any of the updates this year but have the updates in the 2022 model. Like a base model with the 2.0 turbo and about 255 HP like it is now. Then Kia will offer a middle model with the 2.5 turbo with 300HP. The GT models are supposed to get 3 HP gain to 368 HP what is 3 HP? That will do virtually nothing for the GT. I think KIA is hoping 2.5 turbo with 300 HP will become their big seller. I think that 3 HP gain is pretty pathetic. I am not totally convinced that Kia will actually have a 2022 model as there almost wasn't a 2021 model as sales are pretty bad. If the sales don't pick up the Stinger may not make 2022. The auto makers can change there minds pretty quick, I have seen cars that were supposed to have a 2020 model that did not.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
We've discussed the Stinger's future quite a bit. And sales, especially considering all the covid nonsense, have actually been pretty good. The Stinger is a show off model, proving where Kia is now and what they can do. So, while not a loss leader, it also doesn't have to be a stellar seller. :p I don't think that, being a sedan, it was ever intended/expected to be.

Travis Wills

Stinger Enthusiast
There were a couple of months during the summer where the Stinger had near record sales. Those sales have slumped a bit now but it is still a decent year for the Stinger. 2021 models are on dealers lots already and selling decently. The Stinger isn’t going away in 2021. That is for sure.

I doubt the Stinger will ever get the 3.5 liter TT engine. The last thing the Stinger needs is more weight. I think eventually it will get a higher tune version of the 3.3 liter engine. Remember, BMW gets 500 HP from only 3.0 liters. Kia doesn’t need more displacement for the Stinger. They just need more top end horsepower.

YEH

The change to the 2.5T likely means that the current Stinger will be sticking around longer than the typical 5-6 year life-cycle for Kia, esp. if the G70 doesn't get the upgrade for NA (which hints that an all new G70 is coming sooner rather than later).

The 3 hp bump is simply due to a new variable exhaust system, neither the Stinger or the G70 getting the 3.5TT like due to cost reasons and priority given to the new Genesis models.

Considering that the GV70 is getting the 2.5T and 3.5T, the next G70 will get it.

Last edited:

Jayphil

3hp is not the entire story, I watch a korean review with translated subtitles to english and the car performance did improved significantly even with the claimed 3hp gains. See below summary I wrote in other post.

-------------

Guys, I have watched a review of the facelift GT 3.3 on YouTube, the only one available right now (all others are 2.5T) but in Korean. I have used the subtitle translation feature to English to listen, not perfect but was able to get a few highlights. Will be interesting to see if other reviewers will get the same impressions.

The visible changes are low (which we all know so far) but the invisible changes seem to be bigger:
  • It is faster vs the pre facelift. The new Stinger is now very close to the ongoing G70 (only slightly slower) see below their comparison
    • 0-200 KM/H G70 AWD - 17s​
    • 0-200 KM/H Stinger Meister MY22 for USA AWD about 18s​
    • 0-200 KM/H Stinger GT AWD pre-MY22 - 20s​
    • 0-240 KM/H G70 AWD - 27s (Stinger Meister (MY22) very close but not stated exactly)​
    • 0-240 KM/H Stinger pre facelift 2wd - 36s​
  • Throttle and transmission is better tuned / more responsive. Kick down is faster.
  • Suspension tuning is greatly improved (comfort and performance / stability while cornering / High speed stability improved)
  • Exhaust sound is improved, not loud but audible / welcome improvement
  • Launch control not much changed, set at 2200 rpm

I also saw that he was running in city / highway with rear camera on the main screen to improve rear visibility.

12:26 Comfort bimodal exhaust sound
12:39 Sports bimodal exhaust sound
14:53 17:47 21:01 Hansang Corner
15:58 G90 5.0 G70 3.3 Acceleration comparison
19:13 0-100 km/h

DTD

There were a couple of months during the summer where the Stinger had near record sales. Those sales have slumped a bit now but it is still a decent year for the Stinger. 2021 models are on dealers lots already and selling decently. The Stinger isn’t going away in 2021. That is for sure.

I doubt the Stinger will ever get the 3.5 liter TT engine. The last thing the Stinger needs is more weight. I think eventually it will get a higher tune version of the 3.3 liter engine. Remember, BMW gets 500 HP from only 3.0 liters. Kia doesn’t need more displacement for the Stinger. They just need more top end horsepower.
The Stinger sales have been going down steadily each year, 2018=16,806, 2019= 13,861, 2020=9,792. There may be more for 2020 as the year is not done but in my area there are no 2020 models available they were all sold.

DTD

3hp is not the entire story, I watch a korean review with translated subtitles to english and the car performance did improved significantly even with the claimed 3hp gains. See below summary I wrote in other post.

-------------

Guys, I have watched a review of the facelift GT 3.3 on YouTube, the only one available right now (all others are 2.5T) but in Korean. I have used the subtitle translation feature to English to listen, not perfect but was able to get a few highlights. Will be interesting to see if other reviewers will get the same impressions.

The visible changes are low (which we all know so far) but the invisible changes seem to be bigger:
  • It is faster vs the pre facelift. The new Stinger is now very close to the ongoing G70(only slightly slower) see below their comparison
    • 0-200 KM/H G70 AWD - 17s​
    • 0-200 KM/H Stinger Meister MY22 for USA AWD about 18s​
    • 0-200 KM/H Stinger GT AWD pre-MY22 - 20s​
    • 0-240 KM/H G70 AWD - 27s (Stinger Meister (MY22) very close but not stated exactly)​
    • 0-240 KM/H Stinger pre facelift 2wd - 36s​
  • Throttle and transmission is better tuned / more responsive. Kick down is faster.
  • Suspension tuning is greatly improved (comfort and performance / stability while cornering / High speed stability improved)
  • Exhaust sound is improved, not loud but audible / welcome improvement
  • Launch control not much changed, set at 2200 rpm

I also saw that he was running in city / highway with rear camera on the main screen to improve rear visibility.

12:26 Comfort bimodal exhaust sound
12:39 Sports bimodal exhaust sound
14:53 17:47 21:01 Hansang Corner
15:58 G90 5.0 G70 3.3 Acceleration comparison
19:13 0-100 km/h
Well I guess there is more to the story than 3 HP. I still say they should have bumped it to at least 390-400. But as you say handling and response times will be improved. Thanks for the information.

DTD

The change to the 2.5T likely means that the current Stinger will be sticking around longer than the typical 5-6 year life-cycle for Kia, esp. if the G70 doesn't get the upgrade for NA (which hints that an all new G70 is coming sooner rather than later).

The 3 hp bump is simply due to a new variable exhaust system, neither the Stinger or the G70 getting the 3.5TT like due to cost reasons and priority given to the new Genesis models.

Considering that the GV70 is getting the 2.5T and 3.5T, the next G70 will get it.
I think Kia is trying to separate the G70 from the Stinger. But at least Kia has its own dealers.

Oryan

Hampton Roads, VA
3HP is 3HP at peak power. Hell, you could leave the peak number unchaged at 365. Tune the car so it carries that into the top end, and you have a considerably faster Stinger and on the road, the differences in times to 200/240km.. those aren't close. Thats the pre-facelift Stinger being destroyed accoding to that data.

NS_Stinger

1000 Posts Club!
The 3hp bump is just because they put on a more aggressive free flowing exhaust. I don't think they planned the HP bump they just happened to get it when they set out to make a more aggressive OEM exhaust note.