2021 Stinger coming to Korea in July. US and Europe to follow later...

Luc343

Rhodes, Sydney NSW
380 HP is hardly a nice increase in HP.

The rule of thumb is any increase less than 10% is not going to be noticeable. 365 + 36.5 = 401.5 HP would be needed to be noticeable.

This is a very mild retune. It's probably exactly the same engine as the current 3.3TT.

However, a flap exhaust as standard is nice.

NS_Stinger

1000 Posts Club!
I'm willing to bet all they did was add the exhaust and do a small tune to optimize the gains from it if it's just getting a 15hp bump.

Jayphil

This article is from April 15th, at this point we need to wait for the official release to get a actual confirmation about the refresh. I am eager to see the new GT which was spied with bigger variable exhaust, nicer seats, bigger screen / digital cluster etc. . Hopefully all of this makes it to production .

BlueByYouGT

I'm willing to bet all they did was add the exhaust and do a small tune to optimize the gains from it if it's just getting a 15hp bump.
Considering the current engine is widely reported to be underrated and more likely in the 380-390 hp range it looks like the only change they made to the engine is in its advertised hp.

If the 2021 doesn't get the 3.5tt AND only has an advertised 380 hp AND doesn't have better fuel economy I'm going to take it upon myself to declare it the same exact engine, tune and all...

Jayphil

Considering the current engine is widely reported to be underrated and more likely in the 380-390 hp range it looks like the only change they made to the engine is in its advertised hp.

If the 2021 doesn't get the 3.5tt AND only has an advertised 380 hp AND doesn't have better fuel economy I'm going to take it upon myself to declare it the same exact engine, tune and all...
Tuners will be able to confirm that if ever KIA keep the 3.3t,, I am sure Tork or Burger will look at the it and be able to confirm if turbo, tune etc were changed or not.

I would be surprised KIA not changing anything to improve acceleration and call a HP increase just from the fact that 3.3t is underrated this will be not very well received by automotive press testing the "improved" acceleration.

Futhermore KIA realized that they wrongly anticipated the 2.0t to out sell the 3.3T. So they should understand now that their buyers are serious about performance and they have room to improve in that area compare to the new competition (upgraded G70, M340i, new C43/C53 etc).

Waynerm002

2500 Posts Club!
DC Metro Area
The Stinger should get the 3.5T with those power ratings. They are doing that for economy purposes however, I believe thy may also drop some weight from the vehicle to make it perform better. The 2021 G80 is using aluminum for the doors, hood and trunk, will the Stinger benefit from this as well, maybe not but I believe they will find a way to save some weight to make it do better with the new engine. July is almost upon us, the answer will come soon enough.

Toddasaurus

Stinger Enthusiast
Don't know if you guys saw this. In addition to the above article, KCB is also claiming that the 2021 MY will keep the 3.3.

Chark

Don't know if you guys saw this. In addition to the above article, KCB is also claiming that the 2021 MY will keep the 3.3.

That's specifically for the Korean market. I suspect the 2.0T may be replaced in the US with the 2.5T as that would help the GT-line sell better. I would be very surprised if the 3.3T is updated to the 3.5T as that is not needed to boost sales, but it would be welcome.

Toddasaurus

Stinger Enthusiast
That's specifically for the Korean market. I suspect the 2.0T may be replaced in the US with the 2.5T as that would help the GT-line sell better. I would be very surprised if the 3.3T is updated to the 3.5T as that is not needed to boost sales, but it would be welcome.
Yes, that is in Korea. Though it's unlikely the USDM, or any other market for that matter, would get the new engine lineup while the KDM sticks with the old. That would be even more expensive, complex, and it just wouldn't make any sense.

Either way, I agree with you. The article doesn't say anything about the 2.0 vs the 2.5, and i bet all markets will get that smaller updated engine whereas they'll keep the 3.3 until the next generation.

Ty Davis

A.R. Giulia's have 2.9l displacement and bust 500hp stock. So, is an additional O.2l really needed to compete?
With Kia, you will find concessions have been made to protect the vehicle and its 10 year 100k powertrain warranty. The Alfa likely uses higher boost and more aggressive tuning to get that higher output from a smaller engine. This can reduce reliability and durability.

Kia starts with a larger motor, to hit output targets, so as to avoid overly aggressive tuning that might cause extra warranty claims during the cars life.

This is also why Stinger launch control is so tame. Powertrain protection.
Kia also severely modulates throttle input at low speeds and rpms.
Alot of what seems like turbo lag in the Stinger is actually just the throttle responding extra smoothly to inputs, in order to reduce shock on driveline components.

YEH

Keep in mind that the KDM Sonata kept the NA 2.0 motor (but updated) due to displacement taxes, etc.

The Stinger (and G70) should eventually get the 3.5TT motor as the GV70 Sport is getting it (but with 400+ hp).