Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

2019 GT1 Gas Mileage

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Animal801, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Animal801

Animal801 United States Newish Member

If there is another thread specifically on the 2019 GT1 I apologize.

I bought the car a few weeks ago and have now gone through 3 tanks of gas and wanted to get some feedback from other gt1/gt2 owners on your experience with gas mileage. I was never expecting it to be great, but the advertised ~22 combined MPG was a nice bonus to what is already an amazing car. My experience so far is not even remotely close to 22. Nearly all my driving has been daily commuting without much traffic - some "city" and some highway. I keep the car in ECO 90% of the time, and am averaging about 15.5-16 MPG. If I kept it in sport mode, I may as well be driving a G63 averaging 10-12 MPG.

Will it get better with more mileage? How does KIA get away with advertising 22 when I'm at 15 in ECO? I've seen a few posts talking about past KIA's and customers being refunded money due to MPG issues.

Again, I'm not expecting it to be like my Prius but I do expect it to be at least close to what they advertise.

What's your experience?

2. cornpop1

cornpop1 United States Newish Member

I have a 2018 GT, my daily commute is 6 miles local, city, stop n go, one way. During this commute, I do drop to around 15-16mpg based on the trip reader. However, I do drive on the fwy on the weekends and sometimes if I need to on the weekdays. I am currently averaging something shy of 21mpg. I think 20.6 or 20.7mpg and I only get ~310 miles every fill up. Granted, I do have a JB4, K&N Intake, and SSR Downpipes. I am also on ECO mode 90% of the time haha... I do wish it was higher, but I do have to tell myself I am driving a 400hp+ car that weights 3000lbs+

3. Never thought

Never thought United States 1000 Posts Club!

Are you making short trips? If so, that will make the mpg on the lower side. There are threads on gas mileage. Also, winter gas = less mpg.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

My18 and MY19 didn't change in estimated mpg as far as I know. So there should be no difference.

My GT1 starting out would gas up with a Range showing in the upper 290s. After the first c. 600 miles (the "break in" period), I have been getting over 300, usually in the 300-teens, as my Range. Most of my driving is city; but until recently I had a fair amount of freeway in the roughly 25 miles I'd do in a day, to Murray and back to West Jordan. Some individual trips I could see 23 mpg plus. Many times I'd see either side of 19 mpg.

Remember it is winter and gas mileage sucks in winter. And if you've not really gotten out (say a road trip) and let your car "stretch her legs", imho you haven't seen what your mpg average is going to be.

5. Paihan Lee

Paihan Lee United States Member

I've logged every single fill-up since I purchased my 2018 GT in May 2018. My commute is 45 miles roundtrip, 80% highway. On the way home, 50% of it is bumper to bumper traffic on the highway. I have it in ECO mode nearly 100% of the time, but I'm definitely not a slow driver either. I'll accelerate fairly hard through the city and cruise at 80+ on the hwy. 12K miles later and after 44 fill-ups, I've averaged 21.44 mpg since I bought the car, with my worst fuel consumption recorded being 18.20 mpg. So, 15-16 mpg seems pretty low to me unless you do a ton of city driving.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Grizzog

Grizzog United States Member

I'm averaging 22.4 over about 3,000 miles.

7. brancky3

brancky3 United States Stinger Enthusiast

Are you using idle stop & go? My best tank is 21.4 and my average is 20.1 on my GT2 RWD. Are you RWD as well?

Edit: most of my tanks have been with an E85 mix as well, so they will be quite a bit lower MPGs than straight premium 93 octane.

8. Animal801

Yes and I'm AWD.

9. Never thought

Never thought United States 1000 Posts Club!

I do mostly highway and get 24.5-25.5 during the winter

10. Graphite_GT_305

Graphite_GT_305 United States Newish Member

I'm getting in the high 14s or low 15s.

Still only on my 4th tank though.

11. RLittle

RLittle United States Member

21 mpg on my Awd

12. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Op, can you provide a bit more information on your car, such as what tires are you using, what pressure are they set at, how many miles do you drive on your commute, speed driven, lots of lights and amount of time spent in bumper to bumper traffic. In addition, how many miles are on the car, what grade fuel are you using. Getting the whole picture will help us in determining where the issue might lie. Thanks, by the way, start driving in Comfort and Sport mode for a bit if you haven't yet.

13. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States Stinger Enthusiast

7DB9A756-8974-4C56-9C67-01A0A11529AF.png Bought in oct. pretty much on winter performance tires and winter blend since nov...
    GT2 AWD ATL
    rarely driven on freeway. Almost exclusively back roads. And 50/50 hooning vs eco.

Note. The 15.x was the week I got the CAI. Was making it talk to me that week. Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Animal801

Tires the vehicle came with.. not sure of the exact model - tire pressure the dealership had them at.. again not sure.

Commute is about 12 miles total. No bumper to bumper. Stop 6-7 times at lights on the way home. 870 miles on the car using 91. I rarely gas it hard. I'm going to try comfort more. Sport will be used a lot when the weather is better.

15. NismoDPB

NismoDPB United States Member

That's a short commute. Sounds like the winter local driving is killing you bud. I suggest smart mode. I feel eco can be a little sluggish and labor the car too much when accelerating but is great for cruising. Smart will change the mode automatically depending on how you are driving.

16. MerlintheMad

Only if you put your foot in it; otherwise it will shift as Eco. If you give it the guns it will move to Comfort shifting; and flooring it will very temporarily spike into Sport mode. I use Smart when the roads are crap; if I want the computer to "learn" my driving habits/style, let it be when I am negotiating packed snow, slush and ice.

@Animal801 that is a very short commute; six miles one way? Your car would hardly get up to operating temperature before shutting down. That is a major gas mileage killer right there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Hmmm..., I would start by checking the tire pressure to see if they are low. I'm going to guess you have 18" wheels with All Season tires, pressure should be 36/39 (F/R), you can switch modes in the instrument panel to see the tire pressure (if you don't have a gauge). WIll show up after a mile or so of driving. 12 miles is rather light commute, on my car the longer I drive the better the mileage, my commute is 60 round trip. car is almost 2 weeks new to me and it went from 9 mpg (116 miles on the clock when I got it) up to 23 over the weekend when I took it on a leisurely drive on some back roads. My commute this week ans been rain and some fast speeds and me doing some accelerations from stop to get it to perform better. That has netted me 22.3 mpg. With the short trips, I doubt you will see the 22 combined. Take her out for an hour drive on the highway and the numbers will improve. Also, it has been know that things also improve after the first oil change.

18. MerlintheMad

Not going to be the case. He got his car where I did, and the dealer doesn't touch the psi, leaving them rock hard from the factory.

19. dgreen045

dgreen045 United States Newish Member

I have a 40 mile commute to and from work. It is mostly highway driving but with heavy traffic, sometimes stop and go. Typically in the morning when traffic is light i will run in ECO mode and average over the course of the 40 mile trip anywhere between 28-31mpg. In the evening when traffic is heavier with more stop/go traffic i range anywhere from 27-29mpg in ECO mode. Sometimes i will switch to Sport mode and have seen my avg drop to ~26.

I have a 2019 GT1 RWD.

• Like Like x 1
  20. OriginalRobby

OriginalRobby Canada Member

HI - try keeping an eye on your climate - drop the temperature so it's not putting out too much heat - you can still leave it in auto but drop it... or as a test turn the fan to low - try this for a day and see if you notice a difference :)

• Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted