Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

20 Surprising Facts about Hyundai ...........................

Discussion in 'Introductions and Non-Stinger Talk' started by westcoastGT, Dec 2, 2019 at 12:17 PM.

1. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 5000 Posts Club!

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. robz32

robz32 United States 2500 Posts Club! Authorized Vendor Texas Stinger Swarm

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Luminary

Luminary United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member +

Kia Trivia: Anyone know what Kia first started out manufacturing long before Cars & Stingers??

No cheeting (googling)!

4. westcoastGT

tractors ??

5. ScottM

ScottM United States Active Member

Good stuff!! :thumbup:

6. niko

niko United States Stinger Enthusiast

cnc machines is the only thing I can think of.

7. Crisis

Crisis Canada Active Member

A bit of additional info for Item 9 - Canada before the U.S. Although it's true that they sold a fair number of them when the Pony was introduced in Canada, I think it's an overstatement to say it was a hit. For the most part, the Ponies were pieces of crap- they seemed to have a tendency to catch fire and were just generally unreliable. In fact, they seemed to be the spiritual successor to the Lada up here (think Yogo in the States). However, they did establish a foothold here and paved the way for the Excel, which was a much improved vehicle.

8. BlueByYouGT

BlueByYouGT Member

Bicycles right? Or is that Hyundai?

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Luminary

Luminary United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member +

That is correct! Kia started out making bicycle parts in 1944.

The History of Kia Motors | Evansville Kia

10. Flameangel

Flameangel Australia 2500 Posts Club!

That was very interesting and informative to read, Thanks.
    Kudos to Hyundai in their achievements, there has always been a slight bone of contention as to if Hyundai make slightly better quality cars than Kia. Apparently if you need parts for a Hyundai, it is more expensive to replace than Kia. From someone I know, the dealership experience is like chalk and cheese however. When he purchased a Hyundai 130N, on pick up day was treated like a king, given a bottle of champagne, box of chocolates and wife given flowers. In contrast to buying a Stinger .....Zilch, lucky to get the ribbon on the bonnet. o_O

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 7:19 PM
  11. DCBStingerGT

DCBStingerGT Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Yes, that was an extremely informative read, I knew Hyundai makes steel, and construction machines, I believe they make huge cargo ships, and possibly their own car carrying ships.

12. Chark

Chark United States Active Member

I sold Hyundais back in early 2011 and I didn't know several of these.

13. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada 1000 Posts Club!

The Hyundai Pony initially sold well in Canada because it was incredibly inexpensive - people could suddenly buy a brand new car on a used car budget. It didn't take long for most to realize it was an underpowered, badly engineered, and biodegradable car.

To me that's the real amazing story of HK - how they stuck with it and turned the company around from building some of the worst cars in the world to some of the most reliable, well engineered, and well equipped cars at what is often a bargain price point. Continuous improvement at it's best - and economic advantages like producing your own steel certainly don't hurt.

14. westcoastGT

do you remember anything else about 2011 ..........or was everything ..er "hazy" ??? Bawaaaa:whistle::laugh::laugh::laugh:

15. Nasscar

Nasscar Australia Stinger Enthusiast

I didn't even get the ribbon. :(

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

My mom bought the Hyundai Excel when it came out, my brother and I drove the snot out of it! We used to take the keys without permission, roll it out of the driveway and down the street then start it and head out to parties. Ran it into a highway divider and the only noticeable thing was crinkled pain on the bumper. Took her months to notice it. My brother wasn't as lucky with his accident, he got hit and that car had major damage but they fixed it. I was surprised they could bring it back but they did and it was as good as new.

Years later I ended up selling them. The sales manager was a true Hyundai guy, he knew a lot of their history and made sure we knew it and told the story to the customers during our walk around review of the vehicle. Yeah, we had to give a presentation on the vehicle prior to taking it our for a test drive. In addition, we did the first part of the drive to showcase the features, talk about the then new, ABS feature, while showcasing it. The Sonata was their new large car and I was known as the man to sell those. I learned about the discounts on the vehicle and would move folks that wanted a loaded Elantra to an entry level or mid level Sonata that came with more features and more powerful engine. Fuel economy wasn't an issue back then, things like radios or CD player, passenger side mirrors and power windows weren't things you got standard on mass market vehicles, but on the Sonata you could depending on what level you went with. The Sonata was my dream car in my early 20s.

In 2010 when KIA and Hyundai came out with their new styled vehicles, I knew I would be getting an Optima over a Sonata if I had to go back to mass market sedans. After test driving both while going with a friend to get a new vehicle, we both felt the Optima was closer in road feel to my 2010 BMW 535. She ended up taking the Sonata and 2 years later after numerous engine issues and a couple of road side strandings with the BMW, I ended up with a KIA Optima hybrid. Every time I'm in the market for another vehicle, I go test drive other competing vehicles and of course the Germans however, I end up finding the KIA vehicle gave me more of what I want from a vehicle. I thought after seeing the upcoming new Sonata's look I would end up going that route but the upcoming Optima has it beat in my eyes. Guess my Sonata will only come in the form of the bones of a KIA Optima.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rynil2000

Rynil2000 United States Active Member

I feel like #18 is incorrect or at the very least a bit of a stretch.

"The 2020 Sonata Hybrid (already available in Korea) will be the first car with a solar panel on its roof to help power the vehicle."

The Prius already has a solar roof option available and the Fiskar Karma (RIP) was boasting about that when it was debuted.

18. GenesisG70

GenesisG70 United States 1000 Posts Club!

i am on my 10th Hyundai/Kia car, will always be loyal to this brand.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Flameangel

Flameangel Australia 2500 Posts Club!

When I took the car into the Dealership last week to get the mud flaps fitted, I went into the show room and was checking out the new Seltos. One of the sale guys came up and we had a chat.
    He commented that general rule is once people get a Kia they become brand loyal. True for us, past we owned our mix of Holden, Fords and last 6 years Kia’s. Kia has proved reliable so we aim to stick with a good brand :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 4:54 AM
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted