Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

2.0 Tuning Comparison

Discussion in 'The Ultimate Kia Stinger Tuning Forum' started by silkystinger18, Jul 22, 2019.

1. silkystinger18

silkystinger18 United States Newish Member

Does anyone have results (before and after) running the various tuners/chips?

JB4
    Lap3
    RaceChip

Just trying to decide which offers the best increase in hp and torque.

****if there is already a post on this, I apologize but will be extremely thankful for someone attaching link. I’ve read the first 25 pages of the other discussions and finally gave up and decided to ask.

Thanks again.

2. Terry@BMS

Terry@BMS United States 1000 Posts Club! Authorized Vendor

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. mandasol

mandasol United States Active Member

Hey, Kennesaw! I'm in Metro Atl too (live in Cumming and work in Norcross). If you want to try to see what the RaceChip is like on a 2.0t let me know be happy to meet up and let you take my car out for a ride. I also have the BMS pedal tuner. I have a dragy too if you want to see what your baseline acceleration is.

I've put my car on a dyno and seen dyno results from other tuning options and the gains are basically similar for the 2.0 with what's available at this point. I believe the benefit with the JB4 is you may have smoother (and safer?) power delivery. I'm waiting for the "Plug n Play fuel wire harness" to come as an option from BMS and will likely give it a try then.

4. silkystinger18

@mandasol that would be awesome! I've been looking for things to do to the 2.0T before I purchase a chip, intake, etc.

what was your gains on the dyno? what fuel are/were you running?

thanks

5. mandasol

I posted a racechip review with the dyno results a while back here: RaceChip GTS Black w/ App for 2.0 Review

I use 93 octane at BP or Chevron only. The peak gains are roughly 30 hp & tq at the wheel, and that's the same as with other systems as far as I've seen. One thing to keep in mind is that the car is static on a dyno so it's hard to say if real world gains are higher with the car being able to suck in more air as you're accelerating - which is probably the case. I'm seeing over a second gains in 0-60 times, and it would seem 30 hp difference wouldn't be enough to see more than a second increase in times. Speaking of air, I have a K&N intake that I've installed and removed. It makes a lot of impressive noises, but this is my commuter car so I prefer a quieter ride. You're welcome to try it out and if you want to keep it we could work something out.

By the way, I'm self employed so I have a lot of adjustability in my schedule. If you're able to get around to the north east side let me know, otherwise I could probably make it over to the north west.

6. silkystinger18

@mandasol did you take any videos with the K&N on? I have gone back and forth on which intake to order and was about to order either the K&N

7. mandasol

Sorry, didn't record any videos. From the intakes I've seen the K&N looked to have the most separation from the engine, as I've seen some that have no barrier so you're basically sucking in hot engine bay air.

8. kielbasa

kielbasa Poland New Member

Has anyone already had individual tune done to his 2.0L engine with the proper AFR and dyno measures? I'm trying to find out how far we can go, what are the limits, and what mods would be needed to achieve specific power gains. I.E. can we cross the 300bhp border without changing intercooler, what about the engine, pistons ?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  9. silkystinger18

My wonders too! That’s what I’m hoping to find out with this thread.

10. kielbasa

I'm looking forward to get to know something! Can't stand Skoda Superb 2.0L 280KM having almost the same acceleration times (even to 200) as Stinger v6...aghhhh :)

11. Yaro

Yaro United States Member

I've done. On our dyno stock car showed 225hp running 95 octane fuel (91 Usa octane).

Decat (we made a downpipe for this car) + ecu tune showed 264hp (it was very hot day + not very efficient cooling).

Decat + cat back + big intercooler showed 287hp.

Decat + cat back + big intercooler + intake showed 302 hp. I suppose if those cars would be dynoed using dynojet with good fans, the figures would be about 350-60hp.

Thats a link to my experiments https://www.drive2.com/b/536226874137773380/ It's auto translated into english.

12. spacedawg

spacedawg United States Member

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but would a high flow cat be anywhere close to as good as a full decat as far as hp gains go? I don’t really want to throw codes and I also don’t want my exhaust to smell like a 30yr old diesel truck.

13. Yaro

Nowhere near. Tested it on my evo (used fujisubo 76mm cat).

14. spacedawg

spacedawg United States Member

Well that’s a shame. How’s the smell on the decat Stinger exhaust? Is Lap3 still the only US-based tune that can deal with catless setups?

15. kielbasa

Yaro,
    That's very valuable blog mate, for all of us. I read it all with great interest. Thanks a lot.
    I couldn't believe that Kia can be so much slower than other competitiors with 2L engines, but now it's clearly seen why...
    Good job ! It only remains to be seen if the engine can stand this power....

Just wondering - I wouldn't say that decating is an absolute must, there must some other way. Such cars lilke Giulia Veloce (2.0 280KM) or Superb (2.0 280KM) come from factory with both cats and are faster than Stinger. The key to the problem is rather somewhere else.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  16. Yaro

Temperature in kia's catalist exceeds 900 degrees celsius. Thats sick. And the car tries to keep afr up top around 10.2-10.4, thats veryyy rich. I guess it does so to prevent catalyst melting.

I suppose coreans made a bad / cheap catalyst. Thats where the problems comes from.

17. Yaro

Smells..to be honest. But i prefer it to be smelly, rather then blown customer engine.

Those boxes can erase the check engine error. But..as I said somewhere, when we are chip tuning those cars, we are disabling everything related to catalyst operation (heating and etc), i doubdt that those boxes can emulate the presense of the catalyst.

Draft saved Draft deleted