Transmission hesitation occasionally

stevej1951

Newish Member
I'm posting this for my son who has a '18 stinger with a v6 and auto trans. He's in the process of moving from California to Alaska and is driving through the wilds of upper British Columbia at the moment.

He tells me he pulled out to pass and floored it and his tranny seemed to hesitate for what seemed to him for a long time before engaging what I presume was a lower gear. This is something not quite new. Yesterday he had the same problem in a parking lot. Today he's not at high altitude and he'd not been driving long after a 30 min stop. Engine temp is normal.

He tells me that cruising at 70mph his tachometer is reading below 2000 rpm, so it doesn't sound like the tranny is slipping. I've suggested he check the transmission fluid level at his next stop.

I did suggest if he could find an auto parts store to see if he could borrow an OBD gizmo to see if he has any codes. By the way, no warning lights on the dashboard.He asked if he could keep going and I pointed out he's really go no choice, but don't push it. He's going to be climbing mountains soon, however.

He's out in the middle of nowhere far from any Kia dealer (unless some bears or moose run them). Any suggestions or comments?

CKeeler

Stinger Enthusiast
Quail Valley, CA
Check for any manufacturer recalls Or service bulletins from IIHS website. If his engine is truly at just under 2,000rpm at 70mph, he’s either in sport mode without cruise on or is manually shifting gears. 70mph is around 1650, 1700rpm for the V6. It all depends upon how much of a hesitation it actually does. I’ve noticed in comfort mode that it does take a bit of pressure to get it to shift down a gear let alone two gears.

stevej1951

Newish Member
Thanks!

Weirly enough, we had a long talk late last night. I'm now thinking it might be an engine misfire because he had several episodes of a feeling of hesitation when driving at a steady speed. He was using sport mode 'just because' at times and it's never done this in comfort mode. I suggested he keep it comfort mode (duh) but I can't see how that would effect something like an engine misfire or something similar. I'm no car expert but that makes me even more interested in what an OBD might show.

He's a 15 hr drive from the next Kia dealer (Whitehorse YT).

LordStark

Newish Member
Anecdotally on my mazdaspeed 3 any time I got engine hesitation it was because one of the spark plugs were fouled up and I knew it was time to change. I had a pretty mild tune on it and it seemed like every 30k or so I was due for new plugs. Not sure how many miles are on the car but it wouldn't hurt to look, just follow the guidelines on the forum and he can probably easily do it himself.

stevej1951

Newish Member
He's aware of the gas issue and has only been buying name brand gas--chevron, union 76, shell. It happened now 2 days ago and then yesterday, after several fillups. I wonder now he's really out in the sticks what sort of gas he can find...

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Howdy. This is the Forum's first (for me at least) vicarious membership. :p Welcome to both of you!:thumbup:

I'm no car guy either. But I prefer driving with the paddle shifters. I bet there is no hesitation when you drop two gears by hand and punch it.

stevej1951

Newish Member
Update. He got to Whitehores in the Yukon last night but today is Canada Day and every thing is closed. He'd found that the problem isn't there until he's over 2500 RPM, so he's now nursing to Anchorage. He hopes to be there in 3 hours or so.

He'll take it in tomorrow and I'll let you know what's wrong.

Thanks for all your help. I'm a BMW guy and frequent the forums there. I'm glad to see that the Stinger has similar resources. Also, 2 years ago when he was looking for something sporty, I'm the one who told him about the Stinger.

SteveCo

1000 Posts Club!
Calgary, AB
Glad to hear that it's a straightforward repair, and that he made it to his destination successfully. That's not a common failure, and the powertrain for the most part has been very reliable, but coil issues are not unheard of. It shouldn't take the dealer long to replace those components (pending availability) and get it back to running as new.

Too bad it had to occur on a nice drive like that, which would have taken him through some beautiful scenery. Extra Dad Points for you, for helping him out! :thumbup:

stevej1951

Newish Member
Thanks. The parts have to be ordered (given his location and I'm sure Stinger sales in Alaska are limited).They say they'll be in Tuesday.

He's going to get real snow tires and I gather he should do fine this winter.

cncBilly

1000 Posts Club!
North Vancouver
I'll toss the possibility of poor quality / contaminated fuel into the mix...
That’s what I was thinking too.
He's aware of the gas issue and has only been buying name brand gas--chevron, union 76, shell. It happened now 2 days ago and then yesterday, after several fillups. I wonder now he's really out in the sticks what sort of gas he can find...
Tell him to buy Shell Vpower 91 and to stay away from Chevron.

turboAWD

Sustaining Member
West Coast
Coils / plugs seems to be a weak link in this car. And with the "over 2500 rpm" issue reminded of a similar problem I had with my Subaru when it had a bad coil - once you try to get going, it just falls flat on its face. In my case, once it heated up, I guess the wires expanded a bit and it was fine when fully warm - this sounds like the "got worse over time" version of that.

cncBilly

1000 Posts Club!
North Vancouver
I have had no problem with Chevron for the 15 plus years I’ve been driving.
Ours is crap! And they call it 94 octane.