Questions Before Purchase

StevenL7

Hey everyone! I'm looking to pick up a 2018/19 GT and had a few questions before I make trips out to dealers.

1. Is there going to be any noticeable performance difference between the regular GT and a GT1/2?
2. What common issues do these cars have? (especially the 18s since they were the first model year)
3. Are there any areas I should take a more in depth look at to make sure the car doesn't have any underlying issues?

Thanks for the help everyone, hopefully my next post will be as an owner!

eflyguy

2500 Posts Club!
Georgia, USA
1. Suspension options (sport vs. comfort), otherwise nope
2. On the '18, paint rubbing, especially around the headlight assembly, and hatch or sunroof rattle.
3. Nope

Spaceme17

Hey everyone! I'm looking to pick up a 2018/19 GT and had a few questions before I make trips out to dealers.

1. Is there going to be any noticeable performance difference between the regular GT and a GT1/2?
2. What common issues do these cars have? (especially the 18s since they were the first model year)
3. Are there any areas I should take a more in depth look at to make sure the car doesn't have any underlying issues?

1. Doubtful. The AWD models have more weight but don't seem to be any slower probably because of having more grip from the AWD. For me, the Heads Up Display (HUD) is worth it alone for the GT2.
2. Very few as stated. Engine and drivetrain seem to be very reliable.
3. None if buying new. Maintenance records if buying used.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Performance is effectively identical. The GT and GT1 have the "T" shifter, which can be pushed to the left out of "D" and into manual gate: which is really handy when using the paddle shifters because the transmission never reverts back to "D".

RWD vs AWD is mostly a preference thing. If your weather is going to be nasty for significant portions of the year then AWD is a blessing. But RWD is fine if you are a fine driver.

There is no significant difference between an '18 and a '19 (or even a '20 for that matter) vis-à-vis "issues to look for". The first model year of the Stinger was gratifyingly free of FUBARs. There have only been a few TSBs and none of them relating to reliability or replacement. Perhaps the most serious TSB was a production run from August '17 through April '18: the "wiring harness" recall, to put in a grommet and replace any harnesses showing signs of wear on the rough metal edge of the hole that the grommet was put into.

Aggravating issues with Stingers, on a vehicle by vehicle basis (by far and away, the vast majority of Stingers do not display these issues):

• paint quality relating to adhesion: this manifests as pin prick sized holes in the clear coat, to larger chips/flakes even where road damage was not the instigator; rear edge of the hood, forward edge of the hatch lid, edges of doors, below the headlight assemblies (but usually just the driver's side). But all of these are easy to spot when you know what you're checking for: and if a car shows any of this random adhesion issues stuff, walk away and find a vehicle that doesn't: trying to pin Kia down on the paint warranty is a complete pain, and there are stories of failure to get Kia to honor the paint warranty: they claim that the indicated failure is damage and not paint adhesion issues. Then there are stories (more numerous) of Kia paying for resprays and repainted parts; but nearly always after a battle of emails, phone calls and talking to Kia Corp reps sent out to check out the case.
  • There are some dark chrome trim pieces that go discolored in various ways. It's odd, but some cases show one or two pieces that go "crazed" and the rest are perfect. Nobody knows what's going on with that kind of variance. Kia tends to replace the bad pieces.
  • Extraneous noises: test drive the vehicle! Listen for the rattle/thump from the hatch (but this has several fixes, the most common being added washers in the hatch lid stops). If you get a GT you won't have to worry about sunroof noises! A few vehicles have noises in other places, like door panels, dash, head liner, or B pillars. Some are loud and insistent, many soft and intermittent.
  • Brakes: the most common complaint is caused by brake pad deposits on the rotors (so-called warped rotors); a few rotors have gotten hot enough to form cementite (hard spots that wear slower than the regular iron surfaces), attract pad deposits and produce horrible brake shuddering. This is almost entirely a front brakes only issue. The fix is aftermarket pads (don't replace with OE pads). And rotors too if they are trashed (cementite). Most Stingers do not have brake pad issues, and fewer still have rotor issues. But the afflicted tend to post here, quite a lot, naturally enough.
  • The complexities of the media and other electronic gadgetry produce a variety of aggravating problems. But by and large everything works as intended. The factory stereo (nine speakers) is, by most accounts, a very nice one. And the Harman Kardon is even better (15 speakers, GT1 has this). But the "sound fade" from front to rear is a rare though consistent issue; where the front speakers stop producing sound and sound only comes from the rear speakers. A reflash of the whole system is tried, all the way up to replacing the entire "head unit". The short version is: Kia tends to honor warranty of the sound system without argument. The problem when intermittent is the "can't replicate issue" result. If Kia can't "replicate" the issue they won't fix something that seems fine.
Make sure you get a good Kia dealership. Good ones will bend over backwards to honor the warranty work. Bad ones will make excuses and even blame the owner for causing "the problem".

2Slo4u

Not sure of your situation but you might consider looking at a new one vs purchasing used. Depending upon where you are located, it might be cheaper to buy a new one than to purchase a used if you consider the lease buyout option. the amount of lease cash you get plus dealer discount off MSRP can be upwards of 25% off MSRP.

StevenL7

Thanks for the advice everyone, looked at a new GT at a local dealer but unfortunately they were extremely rude about the whole thing and had over 2.5k in dealer options (window tint and clear bra) but they refused to take those off or budge on the OTD price so I decided to walk and keep looking. Fortunately I found an 18 in the spec I was looking for with low miles and pulled the trigger on it. I'm picking it up this Saturday and I can't wait!

Samhjs

Hi. I'm considering purchasing a new Stinger, leaning toward the GT Line as that is more affordable but I have a few questions for all you experts. I've read in this forum and other places about issues with hatch and sunroof noises, and some paint issues. Do you know whether those have been addressed in the 2020 model? Also, while I love a car that has a sports car feel (I used to drive the Volvo C30 R design), I'm not going to be pushing it to the limits. So, do I need to upgrade to the GT version to get the better brakes? I have no doubt it will be even more fun to drive but price is an issue. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Howdy, @Samhjs. I haven't heard a negative thing about the "factory" brakes on the 2.0L trims.

As for the extraneous noises, paint, etc: see my post above.

SafetyPilotCal

My 2019 (July build date) has zero hatch rattle, but there is something that creaks/pops in the headliner on a very hot day. Someone at some point posted pictures of foam blocks that are supposed to glue in between the headliner and the metal roof and I think that glue coming stuck/unstuck is creating the popping. It drives me nuts but I just haven't had any opportunity to take it to the dealer. If the car is parked in the garage, I don't hear it. But on a hot Texas day after sitting in the sun it's nonstop popping.

Swap_File

I'm not sure of the exact trim levels this affects, but I didn't want a 2018 GT2 due to the lack of surround view monitor. I'm used to driving smaller cars, and the SVM (Surround View Monitor) on the 2019+ GT2 was a major benefit.