Minor Stinger recall

Went yo my local Kia dealer today to have the oil changed. They informed me that there was a very recent Kia minor recall for my Canadian 2018 Stinger GT Limited.

It concerned the engine oil cap, which needed to be replaced because the markings on it (type/grade of oil to be used) were wrong. They installed the new one.

I'll try to add a picture of the new one a little later...

EDIT Here's what the new one looks like (if I remember right, my old one had black on black markings on it, much like the one in the second picture below, which is not my from my car but found on internet):

IMG_0489.JPG
Kia-Stinger-black oil cap.jpg

Last edited:

D.J.

The recall is # 180088
I couldn't find anything on the internet regarding this - nothing at all.

My oil cap says 0w30 (recall not complete, part on order)
Why would they change it to 5w30 for us Canadians?
0w30 is always full synthetic, while 5w30 could be synthetic, semi synthetic, or regular

I always found it off that the Canadian owners manual does not mention 0w30, but the engine oil cap did.

I've been having the dealer use 0w30 from bottles on all 4 of my free oil changes so far.

Attachments

Last edited:
It looks like it's a question of fuel economy, according to the manual. Anyway, they put 5W30 full synthetic Castrol Edge (from bottles) in my Stinger, so I'm ok. Thanks for the follow up.

Here's what I've found on the net about it: the first 5 TSB items (called Manufacturer Communications) on this NHTSA page are about this oil cap replacement:
2018 KIA STINGER 4 DR AWD

Last edited:

D.J.

5W30 is not better or worse for fuel economy VS 0W30 though...
0W30 is always full synthetic
5w30 can be syth or semi or anything in between.

0w30 is just better - for all intents and purposes.

They are both 30 weight oil when warm.

G

G-395023

5W30 is not better or worse for fuel economy VS 0W30 though...
0W30 is always full synthetic
5w30 can be syth or semi or anything in between.

0w30 is just better - for all intents and purposes.

They are both 30 weight oil when warm.

I'm not sure but I believe this has something to do with GPF that was introduced on 2019 models, which is filled with different oil to produce less unwanted soot into the filter

My Stinger GT Limited is a 2018. So I guess mine doesn't have a Gasoline Particulate Filter. Would that perhaps explain the black soot present on my exhaust tips?

turboAWD

Sustaining Member
West Coast
They changed the oil requirements for 2019 - it only lists 5w30 and 10w30 in the manual, IIRC. So maybe this is a retrofit sort of thing..

lun471k

My Stinger GT Limited is a 2018. So I guess mine doesn't have a Gasoline Particulate Filter. Would that perhaps explain the black soot present on my exhaust tips?
I'm late to the party, but I own a 2019 GT Limited and also have lots of carbon on my exhaust tips. It's not related to having a GPF or not. It never bothered me as my brother in law's Nissan GTR made tons of deposits on the tips and was straight piped to the turbos.