Drag/Acceleration Caution RWDs using drag radials and brake snip

Rakker

Virginia
I went to change my rear tires yesterday and found 2 broken lug bolts on each side. I'm assuming this is due to using drag radials and brake snip on a prepped track. Getting the lug bolts out is a pain in the ass btw.

20200624_194021.jpg 20200624_210736.jpg 20200625_104209.jpg 20200625_105748.jpg

eflyguy

2500 Posts Club!
Georgia, USA
Dang..

That has to be a manufacturing fault. We have much faster and heavier cars with the same 5-stud setup.

Revvdmedia

1000 Posts Club!
Canada
WOW! Normally you see broken axles before breaking lug bolts, from the stories I hear. Impressive lol.

fastestneon

Yea likely not from drag radials and also most likely not manufacture defect, but from improperly tightened lug nuts. Torque your lugs down with a torque wrench.. It’s easy to over tighten and stretch the bolts ( once stretched they snap easy) or under tightened it will just play back a forth until broken.

Oryan

A bolt-on/tuned Stinger with radials on a prepped track won't be kind to the driveline at all but lug nuts wouldn't be my first guess to go. I'm curious now if anyone has found a point that the diff or driveshaft dislike..

Rakker

Virginia
Yea likely not from drag radials and also most likely not manufacture defect, but from improperly tightened lug nuts. Torque your lugs down with a torque wrench.. It’s easy to over tighten and stretch the bolts ( once stretched they snap easy) or under tightened it will just play back a forth until broken.
I always do use a torque wrench

Aarvix

North TX
If you were shearing studs (our cars don't have that kind of power), I'd think the shear plane would be where the wheel meets the rotor.

Those are busted on the outbd face of the wheel, where stretching would most likely occur from over/under tightened lug nuts. Not saying you don't torque your lug nuts, perhaps they had faulty heat treat.

brunosquito

It’s not my intent to place a silver lining on the situation; however, how much improvement on your times do you expect to see once the lug bolts are fixed? :p

Rakker

Virginia
It’s not my intent to place a silver lining on the situation; however, how much improvement on your times do you expect to see once the lug bolts are fixed? :p
None with the heat and humidity we have here in Virginia right now lol

Rakker

Virginia

Rakker

Virginia

Aquineas

Newish Member
Here's the one I have.

TEKTON 1/2 Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (10-150 ft.-lb.) | 24335 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C5ZL0RU/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_rxD.EbDSJ8P0W
Thank you for the useful, non-moronic answer (no-snark). I'd asked because I've heard that the quality of torque wrenches can vary significantly based on the brand. I have not heard good things about HF, for example. There was one youtuber who worked on their own cars who broke theirs without much effort.

Last edited:

nhcowboy28

1000 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
Thank you for the useful, non-moronic answer (no-snark). I'd asked because I've heard that the quality of torque wrenches can vary significantly based on the brand. I have not heard good things about HF, for example. There was one youtuber who worked on their own cars who broke theirs without much effort.
Dammit. I was soooo looking forward to providing a useless, moronic answer!

That’s my specialty.

I’m competing with a well known member on such replies. I’m well behind his 15,000 non-value add posts. But I’m trying to catch up