Aftermarket brake noise fix?

Ulikefishsticks

So after dealing with the issue of the OEM pads and leaving deposits on the rotors I switched to aftermarket pads. My issue now is the sound the pads make. The squeaking was fine for the first month or so. Now it's actually getting to me. I have the stoptech pads in the front and EBC red stuff in the rear. I had to get different set of pads for the front and rear because of the limited availability at the time. I did not apply an lubrication to any of the pads and i'm not sure it would of made a difference. Is it the pad material making the noise or is it possibly from some other way it's being held on that I can reduce the noise?

eflyguy

2500 Posts Club!
Georgia, USA
Every set of pads I've ever installed required grease applied to the calipers specifically for that purpose. Many come with a little packet just for that, most recently the stoptechs I installed on my Sorento.

oddball

Some pads just squeak. I'd just replace one set if you can tell where it's coming from. I always apply the spray break quiet to the back of the pad, but the manufacturers are good about using anti-noise shims with magic goo between them and the backing plate, so it's hard to tell if it's really necessary these days. 20 years ago? Sure. Now? Eh.
e.g., I went through a Raybestos Element3 phase. The marketing got me. Put them on 3 cars. ALL of them squeaked terribly.

narsnail

London, ON
Gotta lube the pads man, sometimes it isn't enough though and what I've personally done is filed the ears of the pads if they're having issues moving back and forth smoothly.

Ulikefishsticks

Yeah, I am going to take off all 4 pads next weekend and lube em up. I honestly thought I wouldn't mind the noise but after about a month and a half I do think it's time to address it.

Robs GT

I have the exact same setup as you stoptech brakes on the front and redstuff brakes on the back, I greezed the back of all the pads and even the sides, I'm only on Day 2 but I have zero noises whatsoever

Ozstung

Sustaining Member
Western Sydney.
Copper grease is what they use.